Concerned after almost 5 months tkr

Posted , 12 users are following.

After almost 5 months tkr I am still swollen.

I must admit I should ice more. Bending

fine, but swollen. Also not going upstairs

without a little discomfort. Am I doing okay?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just read Jen's reply, this may still work for some tkrs. I know that for me that cold and ice right now actually bother my knees. I would much rather have them warm, maybe not heating pad warm, but warm ...but that's just me. Always best to find out what works best for you.

• Posted

Hi Barbara, sounds like you should still be icing regularly to help with swelling .. have to admit I did stop elevating around that time as I found that the swelling would go but come back dr said that while elevating the fluid had to go somewhere so was going down to my rear end.  I'm now at 10.5 mths post op and are still icing due to swelling and tightness occassionally I use heat but I do find the ice works better and the heat is great if any muscles are feeling a bit tight.  Have to admit I'm still very slow going up and down stairs .. as I never have to use them but it I do I use a rail and sometimes when I'm out at the shopping centre I use a crutch just to make others aware .. suggestion by surgeon/dr/physio.  My bend and straightening are good but still suffer with alot of swelling which I was told for some knees that this is normal.

Take care and remember it's a long journery 12-18mths for most and every knee is different on it's recovery and listening to it is the best you can do.... Tracey smile

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel so much better after reading your response. I will take your suggestions. 😊

• Posted

I had my TKR done a year ago this past April. About 2 months post op, I was told to start massaging the scar area (this helps break up any scar tissue) as well as the rest of the knee. Also while massaging to move the knee cap up, down and side to side. Yes it does move!!!  It is a bit uncomfortable at first but it does help with any swelling, stiffness or soreness. I iced my knee as long as I had PT which was about 6 months. Massage 10 minutes, 3 times a day with something like Palmers Skin Therapy Oil, Bio Oil, coconut oil. It really does help!!!! I still massage my knee if it feels like it needs it, even though it's been over a year. The stairs take some doing, my problem was going down and having to bend the knee, coming back up was no problem. This all takes time and a lot of patience!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. After all this was one bear of a surgery!!!! They are not kidding when they say it will take up to a year or better to get back to normal. Hang in there as things will get better.

• Posted

Thank you so much - great advice. I know when I was in PT, she always massaged my knee. Thank you again, appreciate all the info.
    • Posted

Hi, due to never having rehab or pt until 6mths post op I never had my knee massaged however neither surgeon/dr or pt have said anything about me having scar tissue so I'm a little unsure about that.  See my pt tonight and will ask .. so glad you mentioned it smile

• Posted

No rehab or PT for 6 months...ouch!!! There are some doctors/surgeons here that don't believe in any of that for at least 3 months. I'm glad they started with me when I was still in the hospital. I knew it was going to take a LONG time and wanted to get started ASAP!!! I could feel the scar tissue when I'd run my fingers along the incision, as it felt thicker.

• Posted

Next knee I'm having rehab & pt straight away .. bugger all these issues I've had .. it's been one great learning experience unfortunately at my cost due to pain etc...

• Posted

Hi Barbara just see your post today. Plenty of good advice on here and positive too. I'm 4 months post LTKR and doing OK. I too have swelling and pain/soreness left side of knee. It is also numb left side to touch?? I'm flying on Tuesday so hope the swelling isn't too bad.. we'll get there eventually. 😊

• Posted

Thank you Nuala - appreciate your message. Good luck to you. Takes time.
  • Posted

Barbara, I am 6 months post TKR and still swell daily.  Now my swelling is mostly above the knee...where my thigh muscle has not totally healed.  If icing is not great for you then don't.....elevate.  I sometimes lay in my bed and put my feet up on the wall.  This always elevates the swelling for me.  I think we will be swelling for some time.  I can do up and down stairs early in the day, however after I swell I also have some discomfort.  I know my muscles are not healed and am sure this is the issue.  I actually go down the steps backwards when it becomes too uncomfortable to do normal.  

You our are doing good...I had the same thoughts a month ago.  I just have o remind myself how much better I am than the month before.  Healing takes time and it will come.

speedy recovering!!

pam

• Posted

Pam, thank you so much for your words of encouragement.  My PT told me to put my leg up against the wall.  I will try that.  I find it difficult to take the time and relax.  It is 5 months today.  Healing does take time.  Thanks again and I wish you a beautiful recovery.
  • Posted

I'm 5 months and still swell and hurt on stairs.  The more I do the more I hurt.  I think that's just how it is for a year for me.  Hang in there!  Cathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.