Concerns following cystoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Yesterday (29 July) I underwent a cystoscopy procedure due to a frequent urination problem that I have been dealing with since late last year. This was a flexible carried out using local anesthetic.

I am very concerned that the procedure has caused damage to my prostate area. Prior to this I had no issues with my prostate, however since having the procedure done I feel as though the area has been "bruised" somewhat. The prostate itself was found to have no issue (i.e. it was not enlarged). Since having it done, I have not seen any blood so far, and have been drinking plenty of water. The hospital have only advised me to take painkillers if it gets too painful, and that the pain could take a week to subside.

The procedure itself was not painful, however the part where the scope entered the prostate was quite uncomfortable. Certainly, I tensed up quite a bit while it was being done and the urologist "had a good feel around". I suppose I am now concerned as to whether this pain will be permanent or if it will subside. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've had 8 cystoscopies in the last 34 months and only once had an issue where the post-cysto burning during urination took a couple days to go away. Every other time, it was gone after 2 or 3 voids. Your description of the procedure fits my experience, not painful but a little uncomfortable as the tube passes through the prostate. You should be fine after another day or so.

• Posted

I had discomfort when I peed for a day or two after I had a flexible cysto, otherwise no issues. It does sting when the scope goes through the prostate but other than that , just felt a little weird.

• Posted

It is common for the urethra to be irritated by a cystoscopy and that pain and pain while peeing may ensue and last a few days. If pain persists, mention this to your doctor.

• Posted

I underwent this procedure today and right after the procedure im feeling like i'm having a hard time to pee very small amout comes out of me. I see no blood and hav the burning feeling and that seems stopping my pee to come out.

Before the procedure, i was able to pee a lot coz im on tamsulosin and finasteride and that helps me a lot. Now im feeling like basically the same if i dont take these 2 medications. Doctor also did not find anything wrong with my prostate which made me surprise.

Is what im feeling right now normal after the procedure?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.