Confused

Posted , 8 users are following.

Okay ladies I am so frustrated...and confused! I had my two week post op visit today. The doctor basically just asked me how i'm doing, as he said it was much too soon to insert a speculum or do an exam. (Which I was perfectly agreeable to him not doing by the way!!). When he was about to leave the room my dh asked him what my activity level should be now and until my next visit at six weeks. The doctor said no lifting or squatting/bending, but other than that I should be able to start adding back in all my normal usual activities now..."just listen to your body."  

Im frustrated for a couple of reasons. One...everything I have read says that women should be mostly off their feet for several weeks, but hes saying jump back into your life now. And secondly, having said that to my dh, I feel like the expectation will now be that I do just that and if I continue to keep my feet up and take it easy Im afraid I will be perceived as lazy or as if I'm just milking it the situation for all its worth.  I am two weeks post op, 49 years old. Should I in reality be ready to start adding in all my usual activities?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am ten and a half weeks post op and still not right. Fortunately my hub is very understanding and doesn't think I am being lazy by still taking it relatively easy. Two weeks past your op is much too soon to be "jumping back into your old life" Take as much time as you need to get back to normal. Good luck and hope you feel much better soon
  • Posted

I know you had advice from your Doc, but really, has he had the op, can he really know how you feel?   Take it very steady, I'm 3 months post op, tried doing some gentle yoga stretches this week and have stopped because I can feel a bit of discomfort again.   I am up and about, doing light housework, cooking and driving but no way would I say I am back to full fitness.  Most husbands are understanding, and mine was really good, but from time to time I knew he too was thinking (and probably still does) that I ought to be back to full strength by now.  Only you know how your body feels, so look after yourself and take as much rest as you need.
  • Posted

I'm threes weeks post op and after two weeks I started bleeding again so went back in until it stopped. So yes, it's way too soon for you to be 'getting back to normal' activities. I was told that after a repair you should be resting for the first two weeks.then taking it easy for at least eight weeks and doing the pelvic floor exercises and going for short walks. Then only pottering around, no lifting, no ironing, bending etc. at least three months before doing heavier things and even then be careful. My husband moans but he understands why and does his bit! My post op check up is in six months which seems a long time. Weren't you given a printed sheet with this information on? Then you could show your husband, he should be more supportive of you. 
  • Posted

Absolutely not .....I am a fairly fit 48 year old and after my op I slept 12-15 hours a day.....I didn't leave the house for four weeks. My activity levels were zero. I can't believe he said that. Don't even think about doing anything near normal for at least a month. You will regret it otherwise and be back to square one. Good luck with dh.

I am now 12 weeks post op back on work and more or less back to normal. Still no lifting yet and haven't started excecising again.

• Posted

Hi tlee

OK, no don't jump back in! The crucial bit of advice is 'listen to your body!' I'm 13 weeks post op, didn't drive for 8 weeks, or work for 10 weeks, as I'm a therapist who works with SPLD and it's fairly physical & lots of standing.  I'm still not lifting normally, if I go to pick something up and it feels heavy I put it straight down, however I notice I'm doing bit more week by week.  When I first started back @ work was very tired and came home & had a nap before cooking dinner! 

I'm still not excercising and as yet penetrative sex was very uncomfortable,so sorry hubby, little bit longer!!

So listen to your body and you will fell better week by week, everybody heals at different rates, my GP said won't be completely healed for 6 months you have had major surgery after all! I for one am not rushing things, as although it get frustrating, really would rather avoid going through the op again!!   Take care 

• Posted

Hello tlee,

I had my op in oct. My doc was the same he said apart from lifting i could do everything as i used to. I took advice from here though as i would not want to go through this again (I'm 39). thinking of the future whats 6-10 weeks for recovery its nothing. So just take your time. I felt fine after 3wks and propably could have done everything but what if it went wrong. Think long term.

I feel good now i have a check up next month.

Listen to advice and your body and dont rush.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.