confused about fat content!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new to this, and due to start on this tablets next week (once party season well and truly over!)

However, doing shopping and preparing food meals etc for when I start, and confused over fat content of some things

For example, if i stick to the less than 5% per 100g, then when it comes to something like eggs, they are about 11g per 100g or 7g per egg. Are eggs really this bad?????

Same as dairylea light, which i really enjoy, and never thought was so bad.... it is showing as 7g per 100g or 1.8g per 25g serving... what exactly are we supposed to look at???

Please can anyone help! I'm really worried about being able to stick to this :o(

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry i know that might have sounded like a stupid question, but i want to get this right. Crisps is also another thing.

Basically do i count the fat per 'serving' on each item is what i need to know!

• Posted

Dont look into it too deep or you'll drive yourself mad. Eat the eggs just have them poached, boiled or srambled using a little milk. avoid the cheese even light is full of the stuff. Have cottage cheese instead. Good luck !
  • Posted

Its the egg yolk in eggs that is fatty so if you have eggs and 1 is not enough for you then have 2 whites and 1 yolk etc

You can get laughing cow extra light cheese spread triangles, they are only 0.6g fat each but as a general rule cheese is full of fat

Crisps are mostly quite fatty with an average of 9g a packet, sainsburys do some good for you crisps which are nice and about 4g

Butter/spreads are also high in fat, the lowest i have found is flora extra light (purple tub) and thats 1.8g per 10g which is enough when thinly spread on 2 slices of toast but where possible i avoid spread i.e when having beans on toast etc

The rule i stick to personally is a max of 30g fat a day, with no more than 15g in any one meal, a typical day for me is:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal with 1% fat milk, cadburys highlights hot choc - 4.3g

Lunch: 2 pitta bread, 10g low fat spread, low fat crisps, apple, low fat choc mousse- 9g

Dinner: Skinless chicken breast, pasta, veg, weight watchers sticky toffee pudding with low fat custard - 8g

Spend some extra time looking at everything in shops, looking for lower fat options and the stores low fat brand i.e sainsburys be good to yourself, you'll find that you can easily substitute most things and you can still eat plenty, you just need to adjust a little but it is worth it!

• Posted

Thanks for replies guys, will take that on board.

However, what I do need to know is lets say for example that i did have want to try and stick to eating things with no more than 5g of fat, then am I right in thinking that if a product is showing per 'serving' then its [b:772191d3b5]that[/b:772191d3b5] value of fat I would take into consideration, and not the 'per 100g' bit?! Do you see what i mean?

In which case, the dairylea light triangle would only cost me 1.8g of fat in one triangle towards my 30g per day....

Sorry I'm just getting myself in a bit of tangle with all this sad

• Posted

Hi,

If you want to stick to 5g fat you need to look at the 100g column first, then to work out how much fat you have eaten for your meal then look at the serving column.

Sasx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.