Confused about test results... NEED HELP!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little while back I got a barium swallow and they said that I jsf severe grade 3 gerd....

Then on Wednesday I had a endoscopy done and my doctor told me that I had no visible damage but they did biposy and they will see.

Im just confused on what the biopsys would come back as or what does she mean by no visible damage what would be wrong that you can't see?

Has anyone been told this before? Or what does she mean?  

I appreciate any feed back!

Happy healing

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You could have GERD but still not have it cause damage. not everyone with reflux gets damaged - people use to assume its the acid that causes damage but work has shown the damage, in pepole who have it, is really is caused by somehting else- from the inside out - acid occurs later (in those people).

once theyre in there with a scope, they are going to take a biopsy whether they see anything or not even if they suspect nothing. biopsy in general can tell a number of things including esonophillic esophagitis and cancer (among others) - but as you say, they didn't see anything, so it's pretty unlikely.

anyway, you have good news. and if it stays good news, your next step is to look agressively into why you have such bad GERD - don't listen to any docs that don't want to find the cause and just want you to take meds.

• Posted

I forgot to say that the baruim swallow I got done some months back showed grade 3 gerd thats soth damage and reflux all the way to my upper chest

Ahhh confusing! Haha

Happy healing!

• Posted

I used to get bad heartburn, every day, sometimes all day.  I had an endoscopy which found that the muscle closing off my stomach wasn't closing properly and some biopsies were taken even though the doctor said that there were polyps in my stomach that they weren't worried about.  If there are polyps in the colon then that's a different matter.  I was advised to raise the head of the bed and go on taking the tablets but I found that the tablets didn't make much difference after being on them for quite a while.   I decided to see if changing my diet made a difference as I had been getting bloating every morning after breakfast as well as the heartburn.   I stopped having cows milk on my cereals and tried either almond milk or soya milk and the effect was quite miraculous - the problems I had been having for a couple of years disappeared almost overnight.  Within a few days I had no more bloating and now I hardly get any heartburn and realised that a recent bout of it might have been because for two mornings I had gone back to cows milk.   I still use it in my tea and coffee but no longer use it on cereals.  Perhaps you could try looking at your diet to see if it makes a difference, I'm certainly glad I did.
  • Posted

Yes, you could well have NERD ( non erosive reflux disease) your oesophagus may well be more sensitive to your stomach contents than most peoples. In fact up to 50% of people have this condition - a bit like ibs of the oesophagus. They call it a functional disorder. You can have it in your stomach, too. 

I think they just biopsy to check for eonsphills ( scuse spelling) they did after my oesophagus had healed but I still had pain. Fingers crossed they are ok ( they should be if the endoscopist saw nothing) 

Not sure how you manage nerd. But extremely good you have no damage smile x

• Posted

Thats what I was hoping!! Thanks I feel extremely lucky the weird thing is that It showed damage in the barium swallow? But could that be wrong? 

I also have or had ibs but it hasnt been really bothering me at all 

Thanks for your reply! Hope everything is going well for you!

Happy healing!

• Posted

Barium swallow isn't as good as endoscopy at identifying damage so maybe misread? Did you start meds after you had it, or adopt lifestyle changes? I had an endoscopy done in Feb which showed grade 2 damage but after meds for a couple of months, one in April showed no damage though my barium swallow at the same time showed reflux up to my mid chest. 

Maybe you are similar to me? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.