Confused about withdrawal because of Facebook

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone

Sorry for another post. I'm trying to come off Venlafaxine and start vortioxetine. I joined a group on fb that is meant to support people coming off Venlafaxine. But they don't allow discussions about adding in or switching to other meds. The only support they really offer is to use their tapering method. Eg, I asked what people do to help with the anxiety from coming off and all I got was "you're not tapering correctly".

They recommend dropping your dose by 10 percent - so if you're on 100mg you drop to 90mg - by opening the capsule and counting the beads. Then after 4 weeks you drop 10 percent of the new dose - so down to 81 percent - for 4 weeks etc.

Good in theory, but I need to come off this med to bridge/switch to vortioxetine.

Thank you if you've read this far...

1. What do you guys do to help with the anxiety effects from decreasing a dose? I am at 150mg - dropped from 225mg 3 weeks ago and now feel ready to drop to 75mg, but my anxiety and crying are paralysing me.

2. How long does it take for withdrawal symptoms to ease and tolerate your new dose? Again, all I got on the fb group was that if I'm having withdrawal symptoms then I'm not tapering properly.

I'd like some advice from real humans that don't count hundreds of tiny beads every day!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

it is an issue with mirt, have to be really strict with diet. its very successful, most successful anti dep or combo. not for everyone though. once the new med starts working, withdrawal should ease up and go. all the best.

• Posted

Hi. i am on 375mg venlafaxine and switching to vortioxetine. my psychiatrist has said the following:

reduce by 75mg per week

she prescribed some 37.5mg instant tablets in case i have a day i am really struggling. she said to take one and it should help with the symptoms quickly.

she also prescribed some diazepam for very bad days.

i have to completely stop before starting vortioxetine

she said it will be awful and will take 5 to 6 weeks. the vortioxetine will take between 5 to 8 weeks to kick in.

i also am in the facebook group and was terrified of reducing. spoke to a friend who reduced who said once he started taking his new antidepressant then the withdrawal symptoms went.

i know from lots of reading about this that fluoxetine is used to bridge when tapering.

as for anxiety, i was taking pregabalin until recently. it didnt agree with me but does work for anxiety for some. i am now taking propranolol.

i think it would be a good idea contacting your doc/psych team to see what they can do.

most common side effect of vortioxetine seems to be initial nausea.

just try and remember this is for a few weeks only.

xx

• Posted

Oh thank you so much for your reply. How far into your coming off are you? How are you coping with the withdrawal effects? My psychiatrist too said to drop 75mg a week and it's really hard.

Your reply is so helpful thank you x

• Posted

Hi, I'm now getting completely confused by all the different advice people are being given about Venlafaxine withdrawal.. I'm not changing to a different anti depressant. I just want off Venlafaxine and It's hellish to say the least ! Reduce by 75 mg a WEEK ?!?! IF that's the advice being given.. I despair!! I'm down from 300mg a day to 150 a day and it took a long time. Now.. I'm to afraid to reduce any further because if I forget one 75mg tablet in one day it's awful.. Maybe it's true that it's different for everyone as individuals.. but.. it's not nice and as far as my experience with either forgetting tablets or reducing them ..Please be careful ! It's not a good experience and I'm Not trying to scare anyone as it's just what I went through I'm talking about.. It also depends on why you were given Venlafaxine in the first place. I got it because of depression and Anxiety in the work place.. If anyone has been prescribed it for more serious issues then please be careful.. I am now out of that work place which is why I want off it now.. The effects of reducing are unpleasant to say the least. If you are going to be taking another drug I can't say much as I'm not..but such a reduction so quickly.. ??? I am totally puzzled by that.. I have read So many Comments on this about reducing etc.. it worries me .. I hope it works out for you and as I've said many times.. the withdrawal is the drug.. not You.. please keep that in mind.. keep a diary write things down about how you are feeling . I know this has been a long reply but I hope it helps.. best wishes. to you

• Posted

Thank you. It's scary isn't it how hard it is coming off. I've tried a few times over the years but never managed it. The thing is, I still need medication so that's why I'm changing but oh my gosh it is hard reducing this drug! X

• Posted

it is conflicting all the info out there. i have realised, and others may think different, that if getting of the medication and not starting a new one, then very very slowly is the way to go. if getting off to go onto another medication as you cannot live without an antidepressant, then slow taper may not work as you will become depressed the less antidepressant you have in your system. therefore a faster taper could be necessary. x

• Posted

well i am only three days in haha. today i feel very dizzy. my psych said i would probably end up taking time off work and may not be able to drive with the dizziness. i may ask about.vertigo medication if the dizziness gets too bad but i dont know much at all about vertigo so they may not work. i am trying to think that by christmas i should be okay. how far in are you? x

• Posted

My GP told me vertigo medication wouldn't work well for dizziness caused by discontinuing medication, hope you get a different response.

• Posted

Vertigo is when you feel like you're moving when you're not. It's dizziness, but not like when you feel faint or stand up too quick, more like travel sickness. If I turn over in bed I feel like I'm on a roundabout lol. I was prescribed stemetil which helped a little.

3 days in - hmm that's tough! But after about a week you should start to settle on the new dose, withdrawal effects will still be horrible but hopefully not as strong.

I was on 225mg for years, drop down to 150mg for 1 week then to 75mg which my psychiatrist told me to do but was so ill so went back to 150mg for 2 weeks. On Monday I reduced to 100mg - in my capsules there are mini tablets not beads - 12 - so I took 4 out and on Monday I plan to drop to 75mg and add in the vortioxetine. But anxiety and crying and brain zaps are bad right now!

I hope you'll be okay x

• Posted

That's hard. Surely they'd let you give it a try?

• Posted

Ah thats pants. i will let you know if i discover anything else x

• Posted

yes its awful. i too need medication but not venlafaxine anymore. i realised the facebook group had a different story to me so i dont follow anymore. hopefully once we switch we will be fine and just need to get through the next few weeks. i am soooo dizzy today x

• Posted

Different FB groups have different group mission and rules. Their usually posted at the top of the FB group page. Some groups don't support bridging and some do. Did you ask why they don't support bridging?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.