Confused..? Help..?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what to expect from my first Endocronology Appointment?

My Gp has run a few blood tests over the last 6 weeks and confirmed that my Thyroid is overactive and my TSH is low. He has booked me an Endocronology appointment for the end of this month but i have no idea what to expect?

Do i need to take anything? Urine sample? Get a new blood test etc?

If anyone can help i would be grateful... It would put my mind at rest.

Thank you

Chris

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Well it depends on the clinic you are going to, they all have there own ways of doing things. First appt is usually to go over things with consultant and discuss treatment. You will probably have weight, height and BP done.

It should say on the appt letter if you need to take a sample with you otherwise they will do everything there plus organise new bloods and so on.

It's a good idea to get clued up on being Hyper so you understand what's going on and also know what questions to ask.

Don't worry, it will no doubt be the first of many appts. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for the speedy response, I am quite clued up on being Hyper so thats ok. Basically the hospital have my previous address so my appt letter has probably gone there. I have called the department but you only get an answer phone and i am still waiting for a call back.

I was just curious as to if i would need to get an up to date blood test before my appointment x

Things are going ok but my symptoms are getting worse and i quote from my GP. \" i am not willing to slow you down, you will just have to put up with it.\"

Chris x

• Posted

Hi, Normally you needto have blood test 1 week before your appt so, the endo can see what your levels are.They need this so they know what dose of carbimazole to put you on. I have never had to take urine sample dont think thats relevant. As for your gp he should be willing to slow you down does the idiot not know that its dangerous if you are extremeley over? Once you have seen the endo hopefully you will start to feel a bit better. Good luck. Elaine .
  • Posted

Hello..

Well another update... went to the GP today again... saw a different one.. basically i'm going to the toilet 3 or 4 times a day and the more i eat the more i go... She looked at my notes then said i must have a bug because Hyperthyroidism doesnt cause that.. I told her that the previous GP said it did but she ignored this and told me to drink more... i told her i'm drinking 5 or 6 litres a day but apparently i need to drink even more..

And to make matters worse i missed a call from the hospital whilst i was seeing the daft GP.

Chrispcv

• Posted

Hi, Let me & no doubt all others on this site who have hyperthyroidism will tell you you do need to go to the loo more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was on the loo at least 7-8 times a day & i couldnt eat. Does your surgery have no idea about this illness? hyper as you know is called hyper cos everyhting in your body is sped up . I would inform the endo of all of this on your visit. I just cant understand why they are treating you like this absolutley disgusting im mad for you lol. I really hope that you get a good endo mine & my gp have gone out of their way to help me. Keep us informed take care & i know its easy to say but, try not to worry it will get sorted when you are in the right hands. Elaine.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up