Confusion over symptoms - Shingles

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 33, male. I noticed these bites/bumps/blisters on the right side of my abdomen on Sunday the 10th (and they haven't changed significantly since). It is now Thursday night. I only noticed them in the afternoon at the gym.... I would think they had not been there long. They are still there. They are not really itchy... most of the day I totally forget I have them. They only itch very slightly a few times here or there, really only if I think about it lol. They are not painful.

Thinking about it now, a one moment day or two prior to my noticing them I may have been itchy in that spot for a few minutes, but it's hard to remember as I thought nothing of it. Nothing that stood out.

This past summer, I also had this some mystery bump/bites at around the same spot... and nothing since then (so, probably 7 months with nothing that I noticed).

I feel fine - no secondary symptoms that I know of. From what I understand shingles would present with at least something other than just the visual marks...?

Any ideas about what this could be? I would really appreciate advice. Thanks ever so much!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

looking at the photos they look like blisters going by their appearance they look like shingles to me. thats how my rash started and then progressed. do not itch them do not touch them the blisters fill with contagious puss and will spread virus more. go to the doctor and get checked out and get acyclovir tablets to combat the virus and to dry up the rash into yellow crusts and scabs do not pick them. i suffer reocurring shingles on my face.

Report Reply
    • Posted

thank you for the response. What about my situation being one of not having any other traditional shingles symptoms though? Would that suggest this might not actually be shingles, but could be something else instead?

Report Reply
    • Posted

mmmm!!! yea im not sure about that. coz they do make feel tired and flu symptoms but i did read somewhere that not everyone has those symptoms. here is what i read.......

Most cases of shingles cause severe pain and itching, and can leave scars. Fluid-filled blisters develop, break, and crust over during and a few weeks after an outbreak. You also may feel sick or fatigued, with a slight fever or headache. However, it is possible to have rashes that are so mild they're not even noticed.

my advice would be to go to doctor though just to be on the safe side.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Dear Savoysuit,

The rash follows the typical dermatome pattern of shingles. As you are you younger, you may not experience the typical pain and severe itching as those with a more severe case. Other symptoms would include headache, chills, sweating, fever, aches and pains, fatigue and exhaustion, and s

swollen lymph nodes adjacent to the rash. I would still see a physician for a diagnosis. As you may very well have shingles, recurrent, you would need to explore the possibility of the Shingrex Vaccine (highly efficacious) if you are in the US, as you are eligible here with a note from your physician. If you are in the UK, everyone waits until 70 years of age.

Also, Google high Lysine low Arginine diet and Herpes as the amino acid Lysine suppresses the Herpes Zoster virus and Arginine triggers the virus.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

Report Reply
    • Posted

yea its not good to have to wait until im 70 to get vaccinated!! been living with reocurring shingles since age 18 and its not a picnic in the park its bloody annoying as they are on my face where i cannot hide them! constantly suffering PHD too ive had enough now. am currently on acyclovir tablets and got another course today from doctor im so fed up

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Merry,

A small update - I tried going to a walk-in today, but they were all full. I'm in Canada, btw.

I literally have had no real symptoms since I first noticed them last Sunday, not fatigue, nothing. A bit of congestion today, but I haven't slept that well, so may be a bit rundown.

I googled the diet you mentioned, and as it turns out... that is pretty much my diet! Though I confess I have a bit of a sweet tooth to go along with it.

Normally I wouldn't care less about my situation (since it's not causing discomfort) except that I read that shingles increases the risk of heart attack and stroke, particularly if you get it under 40... so that... is concerning. I am quite active as a runner, and I don't want to have that jeopardized. Speaking of, I hope to continue training through this current situation.

cheers!

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up