Confusion with Knee Replacement Rehab.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Today, Thursday May 18, 2017 marks the 13th week after my Knee Replacement surgery. I have to admit I was a bit naive as to what to expect with my recovery. I'd previously had a hip replaced and mistakenly figured recovery would be similar. Not so.

One of my surprises was the disagreements as to how to best proceed post op to achieve a quick, successful rehab. Doctors, Nurses, Physical Therapists, fellow patients, friends...seem to contradict each other, all very confident their way is the correct way.

I'll speak of my experience and confusion. I came to the decision I needed to stop "googling" for answers because the answers, opinions, etc., always left me with more questions.

I was shocked by the amount of pain from this surgery and the efforts to control it. For pain meds I was initially given Percocet, that seemed to work ok but my blood pressure kept dropping and I became dizzy when standing. Eventually after trying something else I can't remember, I was prescribed 50 mg of Tramadol. That stopped the dizziness but did little to curb the pain. Even after leaving the Hospital I had difficulty controlling the pain, that was until I accidentally (from reading someone's story) came across a controversial, natural herb that did the trick.

The biggest confusion has been with the right way to handle Physical Therapy and rehab exercises. Even the Therapists disagree on this. Some believe the aggressive, no pain no gain approach is the best, others feel that does more harm than good and could actually impede recovery. I had four different Therapist working with me, two were "aggressive", two were "gentle". Across the Internet from what I can see, opinions are split on this. I've had lots of advice but at the time I'm writing this I'm still unsure of the best approach. One Doctor or Therapist will list the best exercises to do at home and the next will say half of them are dangerous. I've read where walking is good for you but I've also read where walking increases swelling and should be avoided during early recovery.

Then there's the icing and elevation. Sounds simple but for how long, how often? Yesterday someone who should know said I need to ice for at least an hour and repeat 4-5 times a day. I'd never heard that before, most professionals say 15-20 minutes.

For me I'm doing the gentle stretches with the occasional "nudge", I ice, elevate for about 20 minutes 4-5 times and walk about a mile every day but who knows? Only time will tell. I think most of us reach our destination in the end, the only question is, how long it took and how much difficulty we had.

4 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What you say is true - the info is contradictory and everyone has an opinion!

?This is true to some extent with all conditions (I've had a few illnesses recently) but by far the most regards to the TKR I think ( not looked up about hips).

?The surgeons and physios haave been taught or developed ways they believe in and  some are a bit rigid and do not appear to keep up with contemporary research - not that this is even in agreement as we read everyday!

?I also beleive we should be guided by our body although we have to take on board some of the "expert" advice of course. It is about finding someone who seems to know their speciality but not arrogant and who will listen and be interested in the patient and base the treatment on each patient's needs.

?At physio, there was a guy who had only taken one painkiller since surgery, walked without any aids and had no swelling or any effects we expect. Then there is me - I have done all I should exercise wise but the bend has resisted returning - I have other conditions that cause swelling and inflammation but used to do advanced yoga so I expected to do better. I had a LOT of pain and my knee is hugely swollen!

?You cannot compare our situations exactly yet the expectation is that we all reach the same milestones within a certain time. It is like the group godfather -Chico Marx's bell curve theory I think.

?I can feel despondent as others seem to be more "successful" in recovery and well meaning folk ask why I am not better yet- or did I not try hard enough with the exercise. That hurts a bit but talk is cheap - if you have not walked in someone's shoes.

?I found the ice packs a great benefit at home but they were not given in my hospital and they did not encourage elevation either. Yes, there is differing advice - I even found a report that ice might impede the inflammatory process which is essential to tissue healing - go figure! On top of this there is controversy about pain killers too - something we cannot ignore after tkr.

?As you say, we get there in the end. It is not natural to have our leg cut open and carved up and a fake knee cemented in, so it is amazing how well we do.

• Posted

Unfortunately one size does not fit all--

I'm about one year out on bilateral inee replacements and it had been a long haul. I still go to the gym six days a week and alternate legs with upper body on alternating days. Recovery has been hard and long, but I have truly given my all. I only have two legs and tkr was the last resort. I am 54 year old female and try to. E active but not high impact exercises. The hardest part was to give up running that I love so much.i am grateful for the surgery and the things I still can do, which is so much. It will get better and you will continue to get stronger get and more flexible as you heal and continue with your exercises and stretches. Wishing you all the best!

• Posted

It's now 19½ and 17½ years since my knee replacements , it took about 6 months each time to recover enough to return to work . Plenty of physio without over doing it .I have had no problems , but everyone is different . Good luck it takes time but  you will get there .

• Posted

Great post

As you say there are conflicting ways for recovery

i found the listening to your knee way of doing it

was best this is a marathon it takes time to recover

im 8 months tkr and i still get stiffness and the odd pain but we get through it always try to remember

how bad your knee was before your op i was in a lot of rheumatic pain and that has totally gone

i wish you a speedy recovery .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.