Considering HRT

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am seriously considering going on HRT but i am still unsure. Does anyone have experience with HRT whether good or bad and is there a difference between tablets and patches. any advise would be welcome.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was on progesterone pills now I have a higher risk of breast cancer and they diss found a 7 mm benign tumor on my brain and it could’ve been from the progesterone

• Posted

was on patches estrogen and progesterone pills blew me up like a balloon ! must have gained 30lbs so stopped them.

• Posted

Hey Ruth

I took bhrt for 1 year and am now on hrt since March. Both have been good for me, to be honest I couldn't have coped without them. I sleep better, more energy, less anxious, better sex drive etc. You have to weigh up the pros and cons but for me going without hrt over the past 20 plus years with primary ovarian failure, have done irreversible damage to my endocrine system, bones, thyroid and immune system. I'm 43 now and they work for me, but possibly not for everyone xx

• Posted

hi ruth ive been on hrt conti patches for 3 years. been fantastic. no side effects no weight gain and less chance of breadt cancer with patches. xxx

• Posted

Hi, Ruth,

I'm 48 and I started BHRT 4 months ago (100 mg oral progesterone and 1 ml biest/testosterone cream) daily. It has been working for me. I had a lot of peri symptoms and many have been alleviated with the hormones. Hot flashes, night sweats, muscles aches, and anxiety have all improved. I seem to be sleeping better also. I was very concerned about taking it and it took me three years of serious suffering before I was willing to give it a try. I was glad I did. I hope you are able to get relief with whatever route you take. I wish you good health. Big hugs--Sarah

• Posted

Did you doctor give you the BHRT? if not how did you know what to take etc, ive heard so many GPs wont prescirbe them.

• Posted

Hi, Ruth,

Yes, my doctor prescribed the bio-identical hormones. I had a lot of blood work, as well as a series of urine and saliva tests over a period of time to confirm my hormone levels. Repeatedly my estrogen, progesterone and testosterone were almost non-existent. I was anemic as well and required 4 weeks of iron transfusion to bring my iron levels up. I continued to take an oral iron supplement for a few months.

My prescribed hormones are compounded by a pharmacy in my home state (I live in the US). I understand some doctors are reluctant to prescribe bio-identical hormones due to the limited amount of study on their safety and effectiveness. I discussed this with my doctor, as this was a concern of mine and she assured me the low dose of compounded hormones was the best route for me. So far they are working and I have had a lot of relief. It has helped my physical and mental peri symptoms.

I encourage you to see your doctor and keep asking questions. Your symptoms are real and you deserve to be heard and most importantly, you deserve relief! Please keep me posted on how you're doing. Best of luck and sending you healthful wishes--Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for your reply sarah, i live in the UK and i dont think my GP will prescribe bioidentical hormones but i will talk to her about them and see what she says.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

My bhrt was prescribed privately but was supported by my NHS GP and so the can definitely prescribe xx

• Posted

hi Ruth i have been on hrt for ten years and will continue to take it for life i only need oestrogen as i had a hysterectomy there are many negative comments on hrt but for me it has changed my life for the better not to mention my husbands i suffered for years if id have known it would have made me feel like this i would have taken it earlier my advice to you would be do your research and way up the pros and cons it was a bit hit and miss to start with to find a suitable one i tried patches but they were not for me my hair skin and nails are youthful and long may it continue wishing you luck my advice go for it it will change your life xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.