Considering move to Mirtazipine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on sertraline (zoloft, Lustral etc.) since early Jan this year. I've found it to be extremely effective at what it's meant to do (subdue anxiety & ease depression) however, I do find it "speeds up" my bowel to a degree that it does affect day to day life. (I should add that I had about 20cm of my bowel chopped out to treat cancer, so I'm not as able as I might be to deal with a "faster" bowel!!).

I've found prozac ineffective and also a total libido-killer.

Citalopram just turned the anxiety up to 11

I could take the SSRI tour & try the others, but they're all known for affecting the bowel and/or killing the libido. My research has seemed to show that, although it has other side effects, that Mirtazipine might be a possible answer. 

Can anyone advise a) will my UK GP be able to get me this? and most importantly, has anyone been in a similar boat or had experience of the side-effects or effectiveness of Mirtazipine?

Thanks,

Mark

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've been on 30mg mirtazapine since November last year and the only thing I found it useful for was a good night's sleep, but I found that my anxiety got much worse in the day as I was on edge about leaving the house even though I take propranolol for anxiety. I've just been to see my UK gp and he's put me on 15mg mirtazapine for next 2wks but the start of the 2nd week I'm to start taking 20mg citalopram. I'm not looking forward to the side affects that's based with mirtazapine as insomnia occurs badly when getting weaned off them but I'm looking forward to starting citalopram as they are meant to be really good, my advice would be to have a good read about mirtazapine before you decide to try them, good luck, ste
  • Posted

Hi Mark.  I was on Mirtazapine for over 2 years.  Started on 15mg then upped to 30mg.  Did exactly what I needed. Took away the physical paain in my chest from sorrow aand lifted my mood so I was able to begin living again!

Helps sleep too - side affects for me - swollen ankles and feet and increased appetite.  Stopped taking (went down to 15mg) about month ago.  was fine then went downhill (suspect drug leaving system)  Not sleeping etc.  Now managing without anything but gp has given me supply of 15mg just in case.

Highly recommend for mood lifting.  Would like to try citalopram.  Hope this of interest. Cheers  Geri

• Posted

I can only report on my experience, mirtazapine has been effective for me with few side-effects. I haven't gained any weight as some people report and it hasn't had any adverse effects on my bowels. I am in the UK and had no problem getting it. But everyone reacts differently, so unfortunately you can't tell in advance whether it will suit you.
  • Posted

Hi Mark

You sound like you have and are willing to try out diferent meds until you find one that suits, and that's good - however, Mirt' is not one that you can stop start as there are nasty withdrawal effects.  Folk on here are great at giving advice on wd' however if need be, but they all seem to agree that the majority of GP's do not really understand wd from Mirt' - so research as much as you can.

I cannot answer the libido from a male view but as a female I had no problem.  You need to seek out more men!

Had no problem with bowel problems either, just uncontrollable urge to EAT !!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.