Constant burping and throat tightness

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi

I have suffered bouts of heartburn and belching off and on for a couple of years.The past few months have seen an increase in belching constantly and very loudly with heartburn and on one occasion i had hearturn all night and throught i was having a heart attack.

I do like very hot spicy food and drink alot of coffee and alchol a few times a week.I have since reduced what i think are these triggers but feel like i might have caused long term damage.

The following symptons i am getting now are:

Pressure in chest and throat when waking up

Belching from throat

Feeling of tightness and strangulation feeling in throat together with lumpy feeling

Occasional nausea

Occasional stomach pain 

Feeling really uncomfortable mainly in throat area where i belch

I can eat food ok

Went to docs 2 weeks ago where i was asked if family history of osophegeal cancer which really scared me.She put me on 40mg daily of Omeprazole which dont seem to be doing much.

I am going back to the doctors this week and asking for an endoscopy as cant go on with this problem as really getting me down!

I am really hoping that i don't have cancer and was wondering what else it could be and if anyone has had similar symptons to me?

Thank you

Kathee

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cathy, I don't know why the doctor asked if you had a family history of oesophageal cancer as it doesn't suggest anywhere in risk factors that that is a factor. I get the neck fullness feeling but my reflux is silent. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a sliding hiatal hernia causing some of these problems so it will still be good to have an endoscopy . Eat small meals,not too spicy and not too late at night. Keep your bowels moving too as this can make things worse. Good luck!

• Posted

I have the same symptoms for the last 2 months and same as you, i have silent reflux. The weird thing is i had a barrium swallow test done which showed i had a sliding hiatal hernia with schazkis ring. Then i also had an upper endoscopy done a few weeks later and the GI said i had suspicion of short segment barretts and mild inflammation in my stomach. But no mention of HH or shatzkis ring. Still awaiting on biopsy results of upper endoscopy.
  • Posted

I agree with Janita that it does not sound like cancer, but surely the doctor will advise you soon. There are many people here in these forums with the exact same symptoms. I also have the tightness in the throat area that gets worse as the day goes on and never really seems to go away unless I am sleeping. It does not wake me up.  I have the constant belching too. Very frustrating and uncomfortable. My heartburn is mostly silent, meaning I don't feel acid in my throat very often. I have gotten some relief from giving up all carbonated beverages and eating smaller meals. This was very hard for me as I have alwasy been a big eater. I exercise everday and get hungry. I now do not drink liquid with my meals. I can drink water 30 minutes before a meal or 30 minutes after a meal. If I need liquid to finish my meal it just means I am eating too much for one meal. This has helped a lot, but has not made it go away. I am hoping with time it will. I do still drink alcohol in the evening becuase it helps, but I can't drink wine or beer or club soda with my vodka, which is what I used to drink. I now drink vodka with grapefruit juice. I don't know why the grapefruit juice does not bother me, but it doesn't. If you get any relief, please let us know. I wish you the best in your efforts to heal.

• Posted

hi cathy, When we live a unhealthy life for a longer time we develop some, well let's call them symptoms but since we've been doing such things for a long time

things starts to change slowly and we start feeling discomfort but tend to ignore them until they become unbearableand then we start to freak out and stop our "bad habits" and start regretting but we constantly worry about one thing or other sometimes we blame ourselves sometimes we regret and want to get rid of that

situation morning till night and we start putting stress on our system that in return increases the stomach acid and other things. My point here is get yourself checked and avoid oily food, cafinated food, alcohol etc. and instead of freaking out join some yoga classes or whatever and give your body to heal itself, for sometime u wont be able to lead your life as perfectly as you used to before with same pace and enjoying everything such as coffee tea and whatnot. but start a healthy lifestyle and you will be fine in no time.

• Posted

Sounds exactly like LPR (silent reflux) and small HH.  I have the same, the camera will tell you - there is help out there.  Though I think that once you have stomach issues, they never fully go away; but you can relieve them.  In the meantime, try sugarless chewing gum for the throat - really good as it reduces acid via saliva and coats the throat.
  • Posted

Hi

Thanks for all your help and info.

Went back to Drs yesterday and he said it sounds like GORD and inaddition to the Omeprazole that i am on already he has prescribed Ranitidine twice daily.

He also mentioned Globus as i said that i felt my throat was being strangled and closing up.

I am still experiencing throat problems in that when i wake up my throat feels full of mucous but i cannot cough anything up and it feels tight. Can anyone recommend anything to take that might help the mucous cough up as it is very uncomfortable.I have tried cheqing gum and some cough medicicne but to no avail!Also sucked gaviscon tabs before bed and raised the bed.

Just so fed up with this.

My dr said he will schedule an endoscopy to put my mind at rest but this throat problem is really getting me down.

• Posted

Hi Cathy.

I'm experiencing the same as you.really getting me down.it almost feels like I'm having a little asthma attack but I'm not.doctor put me on lansoprazole 30mg twice a day but still getting all my symptoms. Constant throat clearing.I'm going to ask to see an ent Doc too

hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Hello, I registered just to answer your question. As I would feel bad not telling you what I have discovered, as I too suffer from a similar issue. It started two years ago out of nowhere. I went to a concert and the next day I had acid reflux that was not going away. Eventually that went away and it instead left me with constant bleching. I also have this weird lump sensation in my throat that I want to keep trying to get rid of but always comes back. This is because we have air somehow filling in some sort of gap near the base of your neck. This pressure or air actually fills your whole esophagus. How do I know? Its simple, when you lie down flat on your chest you will notice that you can breathe better. When you burp a big burp you notice a slight second of relief. If you even push down really hard on the base of your neck or other parts you can hear the air escaping like popping air bubbles.  WE are not insane, I have seen people from various forums comment about these issues since 2006.  It is just impossible to detect. Because it is air, none of these xray machines and cameras can see where this air is trapped. That is why everyone tells you you are okay. Unfortunately air is transparent. My guess is that some sort of sphincter that seperates the stomach from the throat does not close properly and leaks air through into the throat. It could be a tiny gap not seen by a camera which would make your body not air tight. I know this sounds bad, but theres nothing any of us can do. I developed it at 22. I guess I have to live with this until I die. It could be worse though I guess.. Sorry for the bad news, those pills they give you for acid reflux only help if you are experiencing signs of reflux.
    • Posted

A hiatal hernia is when the stomach pushes through the lower esophagal sphincter. Most of the people or all of the people that have this burping and throat sensation have a hiatal hernia, though Drs do not understand how it causes the throat sensation, but it is what you have just said. The sphincter never closes properly, though it can be repaired with surgery. Drs do not want to perform surgery unless the hiatal hernia is bad, but it does not have to be bad to cause these problems. I have found some relief by losing 6 pounds. I had the sensation and burping constantly for about 6 months, but now i have good days and bad days. i notice that if I eat very little for a few days I will get complete relief, but the next then I forget and want to fill full and not be hungry and I eat too much or drink a carbonated soda and the pressure pushes my stomach back through the sphincter. I do believe if I could go long enough without eating much the sphincter would have time to heal and my problem would be solved, but I get so hungry and have never been a good dieter. Also my weight is within the healthy range, it's not because I am obese, but I am on the high side of healhty and I used to be on the low side of healthy, so that is about 20 pounds difference. Also I don't take any reflux medicine because I  only get reflux once in a while. I have always had low stomach acid. And again you are right. Reflux medicine does not really help the belching and the throat sensation.  Another thing I started doing that seems to help is taking L-tryptopahn, which is an amino acid that you can buy over the counter. It is supplement that also acts as a natural muscle relaxer. I don't know why but it does seem to help. I take it now every day and night. 

• Posted

This is exactly me. I know it’s just been a year but would love to hear on your status now and any recommendations to ease the symptoms.

Thank 

• Posted

I've had this issue for about 2 years. Came out of nowhere. It started as throat burps coming from the left side of my stomach--I heard the gurgling and the gas would come up 1/2 way, stop and small frog burps come from my throat as if something is tight in my esophagus. My throat was and is SO tight. I've had 2 colonoscopies, 2 endoscopies within 4 years. CT Scan with contrast, went to see a homeopathic doctor who said I had LOW acid production which mimics too much acid. I took HCL pills for low acid but it burned my stomach too much so that means I don't have low acid but ZANTAC also didn't help even though I was also diagnosed with GERD. I saw an ENT who said my throat was a little red so it's GERD. My voice all of a sudden got hoarse one day and I went to Urgent Care and again GERD. I have so much trapped gas in my small intestine and sometimes I cannot get it up unless I push down on my left side. I eat and swallow fine but right after each thing I eat and drink I have to burp and burp, if and when I can. I eat a healthy diet, I lost weight, (wasn't too heavy to begin with) I don't drink soda or alcohol. I want to take a swallow test next. At times it just goes away but then after about 2 months it's back and stays for 3 months. I get a small cough when my throat gets tight, but not all the time. Is it Silent GERD? Maybe but what the heck is all the gas in my left side? rumbling, gurgling, popping, pressure---horrible. I'm going for a second Gastro opinion in March. Gall bladder was ok too. I use the bathroom just fine, no major issues there. I even take digestive enzymes and GAS X and no major relief. So frustrating!

• Posted

hi Denise,

Oh my goodness this is exactly the same issues as ive been having..,identical ive had it in and off for years but since December i have had it constantly its cracking me up!

I have had a badium swallow xray which has said i have a tiny hernia and some kind of spasm issue.

The burps are driving me crazy and the throat tightness is do horrible. Mine is the same as yours as the pain goes whilst eating or drinking but then comes on terribly just after i finish!

Absolutely horrible x

• Posted

Hi

What you said is bang on.

There is tests to show this, i had a baruim swallow and it showed that my stomach was full of air even though i had not eating.

Its called aerophaiga .

It can be from anxiety, mouth breathing allergys amongst over things.

I was told to take infercol 3 times a day 3 pipetes worth.

I also take 3 charcoal tablets morning and evening which helps alot.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure if i get this from taking lanzoraple for 7 years .

I would like to warn people from taking this for a long time and try to find alternatives like ginger and liquorice.

Also look into a meltonin study that was done with other vitamins that cured 100% of the people with gerd by strengthen the valve.

It was put against lanzarople and came out on top.

I have lots of other health conditions now which are linked to being on ppi s for a long time.

I have roscea with rhinopymphia.

B12 defiency

and immune disease yet i was told ppis are safe.

I am only 33 .

All the best Carl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.