Constant chest discomfort in 21 y/o male

Posted , 3 users are following.

21 y/o skinny male here. My chest has been hurting for the past 4 months or so. It's hard to describe, but it's a relatively numb pain with intensity that ebbs and tides yet is fairly consistent in it's presence. It sometimes becomes sharp and extends to my back/shoulder. I also experience shortness of breath and cannot run or exercise intensely any longer, which is disappointing because I really enjoy hiking/skiing/other sports. Sometimes I have difficulty catching my breath, even without exercise. I also experience fluttering/palpitations in my chest. The pain is not affected by breathing or moving. This all started shortly after I had a cold and was coughing heavily.

I visited the ER 3 months ago convinced that I was having a heart attack or something, and an EKG, bloodwork and chest x-ray all came up negative. The doc just told me that I wasn't experiencing an acute adverse medical condition and to follow up with my pcp.

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone experienced anything like this. Obviously, I am still going to follow up with my doctor.

Thank you for your time.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am 21, skinny, female, and I’ve also had a dull sternum pressure for a while now(months). Also experiencing what I think are palpitations. Not short of breath at all, even when I do light workouts.  I usually smoke marijuana often but have decided to take a break due to not knowing what the hell is wrong with me. Making a drs appointment later this week.

• Posted

Did you dr ever provide you with any answers to this? I'm going through the same thing except mine has been like this for two years with no answers! I've seen a cardiologist, had so many blood test, worn a halter monitor twice and and also had a stress test done on my heart. The only thing that was found was that my heart rate would pick up fast for no reason so I was put on medication for that and that does not always help. My heart looks just fine along with everything else they tested. So I've been left to deal with this with no answers. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.