Constant health anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys; back again.

So, I thought my anxiety was finally clearing up for good until it rushed back and kicked me right in the teeth. Right now is an extremely stressful time, my mother recently moved away down sound after my step father told her he didnt love her anymore and I am unable to go with her due to the fact of college and university placements (if I move to England I lose my fundings).

Basically, i'm here seeking consolance, or anyone who has experienced the same kinda feelings I'm currently having. I've come to terms (finally) with my depersonalisation and have accepted that it comes in waves, which bestows extreme anxiety about my health upon me. Today, and yesterday, i developed an ache in my leg crease (groin area) which hurts when I move and I have been concerned about the development of appendicitis (a life-long fear). Its been 24+ hours of the pain developing and it hasn't got worse, nor does my right side respond to rebound pain. I feel like im being completely stupid and im trying my best to keep the anxiety under control but the thing scaring me is occassionally when I move I get a stab on my right side (where the appendix would lie) and i panic. Tonight I have also had anxiety about a prawn ready meal which was one day out of date, i only had a mouthful (one prawn) and immediately regretted my decision as i now fear food poisoning. Some help would be appreciated, consolance, advice, suggestions?

Thanks so much for your time and thank you in advance for replies.

-Ryuu

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryuu. Have you gotten a thorough physical? Sometimes when you hear you're medically fine, it can offer some relief. I have general anxiety so unfortunately I can't offer great advice.

• Posted

Hi! Thanks muchly for your reply, I have gotten full blood work done, and everythings been fine, sometimes my anxiety just gets way too out of hand.
  • Posted

You already know that no amount of reassurance will help, health anxiety does that - the only solution is dealing with the anxiety, not the symptoms of it, that's just a viscous cycle

• Posted

Yes, you're totally correct, although i do reckon writing it down makes me feel a little better.

• Posted

I get all kinds of physical pains with my anxiety. There are times I thought oh no my appendix then I though I had gall stones I have had bad pains in my legs. I would go talk to the doctor if I told last couple days. As for the food the dates they put are best by date. I wouldn't worry about food poisoning.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, its sometimes reassuring to know people experience the same thing as I. I think im going to go to the docs, my anxiety is becoming unescapable currently.
  • Posted

Your family situation triggered you off. You should see a therapist so you can work all this out. It really stressed you out and all the rest is manifestations of it.im so sorry this is happening to you.  You have some issues going on want to finish your education so yes there is stress. Do you feel you need to be with your Mother? Is she all fine on her own. Or is it you scared she isnt around. Thats not so bad for you to rely on self too. Its a good thing to know you can stand on your own two feet as well.  Didnt mention if you dorm or are you staying with your step dad. Look this is stressful stuff going on. So try and address what the stress really is. Again im so sorry. The gut get zinked the steingest woth saddness and anxiety. So be aware of that. You are feeling sad as well as anxious. And most would feel upset in your shoes.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your supportive words. I'm very attatched to my mother, and always have been, i'm currently visiting the docs for suspected borderline personality disorder so i really struggle with the concept of abandonment (shes not abandoned me, it just feels like it). I'm currently with my stepdad, which is fine, but he doesnt give me the same securitive feelings that my mum gives me, but also a bit of bitterness towards him. I am slowly trying to accept that it's anxiety and nothing else, but sometimes it is blinding and I struggle to keep clear vision.

• Posted

Break the cycle of thoughts. Try to think that when real situation occurs you will handle it. Observe the thoughts without fear. You will understand the irrationality of it.

I learnt this yesterday from my therapist.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your suggestions, very thought provoking.
  • Posted

Hi.

I am in the same boat as you. I was told about a year ago I had gallstones due to pain I had that lasted only a week it has never returned. But I have HORRIBLE health anxiety I try to fight everyday

My appendix and gallbladder is two of them.

I suffer from derealization also comes and goes which makes my anxiety 10 times worse.

I also have trouble with anxiety about my heart , leg weakness, pains just everything

I have been in the er had chest x-ray, blood work, 30 event heart montor, and most recent 48 hour heart montor, Cbc blood work most othere blood work, echo on my heart all good. It all has put my mind at rest SOME but with health anxiety it's a battle that we have to fight everyday and I am learning that . Just this evening I felt like I was having a heart attack I had to fight off a panic attack feeling like I was going to die that was 4 hours ago and I'm still here. My advice would be talk to a doctor and have tests done , let a doctor tell you that your ok and accept it and try to live life. I went through a bad time ( i found out my husband was cheating on me) our daughter was just 1 and it made me have a break down one month later is when my life fell apart and I took my first panic attack . That was 1 year ago and I still live with the anxiety and panic attacks. I believe stress sets off something in our minds. I pray you get feeling better soon

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband, it must be horrible. Just know that we are all here to support you on here. Thank you for sharing your experience with me, connecting and relating with others help me to feel like im not going insane (which derealisation often makes me feel). I went through a period of extremely bad heart attack-like panic attacks which lead me to not be able to sleep at all, i've found that kinoki kyomi detox foot pads work like a charm, they help me sleep like a baby! They're cheap too; worth a shot! Also coupled with a chai tea latte (vegan so its suitable for everyone) and an audiobook or white noise, you can direct message me if you'd like and i'll send you the recipe! It's very simple and tastes heavenly! It really helps me wind down. But yes definitely, reassurance from a doctor has helped me in the past but I always feel bad keep returning and wasting their time sad.

• Posted

Hi i have health anxiety so i know how bad it gets , the one thing that ive learned when dealing with ocd or health anxiety is dont research illnesses or symptoms online or in books because thats doing the compulsion which is what feeds the obsession it is really as simple as that .

It doesn't matter if you have the obsession all day every day " which you want " but just don't do the compulsion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.