Constant Nausea. Can’t deal with it anymore.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I have posted on here before about having stomach symptoms which the doctors think it could be Crohns, however I’m still no closer to a diagnosis yet. Although I have that problem, my main issue I deal with is constant nausea every single day. Some days it’s easier to cope with than other days. But at the moment my nausea is so severe I feel like I want to constantly throw up. The doctors have prescribed me anti- sickness medication Cyclizine, which helps sometimes but not all of the time. I thought this nausea could be to do with my medication however I have tried coming off my medications one by one to see if it helps but I still feel constant nausea. It literally comes on out of nowhere and stays all day. Some days it’s so debilitating I have to stay in bed trying to not throw up. Doctors don’t seem too concerned about the nausea as there is nothing else they can do other than prescribe me anti sickness medication. I am waiting for another Gastroenterologist appointment but this appointment could be months away. I don’t know how to cope anymore, I am 18 years old I shouldn’t have to feel like this. 

Sorry for the long paragraph I don’t know where else to turn too. Any replies would be appreciated sad Thankyou

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this! There are lots of anti sickness medications you could try in the mean time to help control the nausea; prochloperazine, ondansetron or domperidone are ones I’ve used! It’d be worth having some scopes done too to check in the stomach!
    • Posted

Thankyou for replying! I have tried quite a few different anti sickness medication and only Cyclizine helps slightly. However when I have been in hospital they gave me ondansetron which helped but apparently the doctors aren’t licensed to give it out for every day use. I have had scopes last year when I wasn’t as bad but the only thing they found was the valve in my stomach doesn’t close. However I don’t know if it will be worth me having them repeated this year as I feel 100 times worse than last year. 
  • Posted

I have the same issue. Constantly nausea and fullness under my sternum. It's the worst thing ever. It's been almost 7 months for me and I've had a scope come back clear.. unfortunately. And it's always months in between appointments with my gastroenterologist so it's just terrible!! Ugh.

One thing I will say is, make sure anxiety isn't making the nausea worse. I realised that within myself. The nausea was there, but because I worried about it constantly it made my nausea 10x worse! Sometimes you can tell your nausea is caused by anxiety when you take nausea medication and the nausea still persists. It's mainly because you're constantly worrying in your head about throwing up, why you're feeling this way, googling and searching trying to diagnose yourself, etc.

That's not to say that your nausea isn't a real issue, especially if it's persistent. Just remember that anxiety can make you feel ten times worse than it really is, and sometimes the nausea is just completely anxiety. It sucks. I hope you get better. I've pretty much tried everything and still deal with it constantly. To the point I don't leave home. I really hope you get better. Do things to distract your mind from it while you can. Other remedies are popping a mint in your mouth, chewing mint gum, drinking Sprite (works for me at least), and keep your mind busy.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for replying! My scopes have come back clear too. All I want is something to show so that I have a diagnosis and can get treatment. The waiting times are so long in the last 3 years I’ve seen a Gastroenterologist twice. It’s not right having to wait so long. Your right about the anxiety I do find it gets worse when I worry about it but if it wasn’t there I wouldn’t worry. It’s a vicious circle!
  • Posted

I had very similar thing fir a year and a half tried everything took Flora critical care 50 billion probiotic, one a day...needs to be refrigerated....this is not an ad...worked for me...gets rid of bad bacteria in gut and bowel..
  • Posted

Am sorry you are feeling this way. Have they checked your gallbladder ? When I had gallbladder issues I was very nauseous.  When I feel nauseous I make hot tea and I only fill the cup about 3/4th . Make sure it is really hot. 

Then add some ginger ale , it will sizzle up . Then add sweetener . Then sip on this and it will take away the nauseous feeling. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Hi! Thankyou for replying! What do you mean by having the gallbladder checked? I have had a ultrasound to check for gallstones which I didn’t have but that was 2 years ago and this year I feel 100 times worse. 
    • Posted

There is a scan called HIDA  scan which checks your gallbladder to see if it is functioning correctly . I had this done because I had the pain and I was nauseous and in the ultrasound nothing showed up . So when they did the scan it showed that my gallbladder wasn’t functioning at the normal level. 
    • Posted

I haven’t had a HIDA scan. Who organises it? What do you have to do in the scan? That could potentially be the problem however my pain is always in the lower right side not upper. Did they take your gallbladder out after knowing that it doesn’t function correctly? 
    • Posted

Hi Charlotte, my primary care doctor ordered the test. It’s called HIDA scan with CCK . They inject a very small amount of radioactive tracer. This then will travel through your body taking picture s of your liver, gallbladder , bile ducts and small intestines. Then the CCK is cholecystokinin which stimulates the gallbladder to contract and release stored bile into the intestine. Then they will beable to see what percentage your gallbladder is working. I did get my gallbladder out and i recovered. The other thing is if your pain is on the lower right side it could be related to a female problem or kidney . Have you gone to the gynecologist ? Have they done any other tests or X-rays ? 
    • Posted

Thankyou for explaining it! I will definitely keep it in mind. I have had CT scans and ultrasounds and the CT showed something wrong with my Cecum which is the first part of the large intestine, a stone in my appendix which I then had my appendix removed and ovarian cysts which I’m seeing a gynaecologist for. But nothing is being done about my problems because of the long waits in between so I don’t know if these problems would cause everything.
  • Posted

It is very difficult to get a diagnosis of Crohn's or Ulcerative colitis. I have been sick on and off since I was in grade school and I have suffered over the years. I got really bad at age 37 and that is when they said I had UC, but I think it is CD, because I have issues with absorbing nutrients. My last flare up has lasted now 2 years and even though my symptoms point to Crohn's I still have a doctor that isn't willing to make the call yet. The last two biopsies I had done said that I have Indeterminate bowel disease, so that means they can't tell if it is Crohn's or UC. So the only thing you can do is go and get checked, but realize it may take you years and you may have to have a really bad flare before you get a diagnosis. I had gone in for two colonoscopies at a young age because of what I was going through and they still couldn't figure it out. I wish there was an easy test for bowel disease. The main thing right now is that they get you back on track again. If it is CD or UC you will naturally go into remission again. Most have flares and then get better for a while as the disease progresses. I hope you don't have either one of them as it is no fun. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thankyou for the reply! Did you have a few clear colonoscopy before you were diagnosed then? This is my issue because nothing is really showing up as they always test me when I feel fine. The only thing that’s shown up is a positive Calprotectin result and Anemia and a high white blood cell count when In flare. 
  • Posted

hi there

I had nausea from Sept - had my gall bladder out in Jan - I still had nausea every day and tried so many different meds.

I  now take a probiotic daily(use a good one I think mine is Antiflora 9 strain and found some meds over the counter called Emetrol or Emex (generic) - the cost is about R40 for a bottle - this helps the nausea within 15 mintues and must not be taken before or after drinking any liquid also within 15 minutes. Feel like a different person....good luck !!!

• Posted

Good for you Marilyn!   I have suggested this so many times on this site but as far as I know nobody has taken my suggestion.   I had my gallbladder removed and I asked my doctor for a prescription for cholestraymine, used for  pain and or diarrhea after gull bladder removal.  Mine was removed about 2 years ago.   Took 50 billion Flora and half box of cholestraymine.  I can now eat anything with no problem.  My gastro doctor was quite surprised...hope you continue with good results..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.