Constant panic attack feeling but no panic?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I used to suffer from panic attacks but don't really get them no more (only after alcohol)... 3 nights ago I did drink (alot) and I had the classic panic symptoms but not the actual attack... The reason why I didn't have the actual attack was (I think) I took a friends anxiety pills (propranolol) I had 1 x 10mg two days ago and 1x10mg yesterday I havnt took one today because they havnt helped me at all... now I'm just stuck with (what I can describe) just the build up to a panic attack but no panic... I feel I have butterflies constantly in my stomach from worry but I don't know what I am worried about... I feel like this feeling will never go and that there is nothing that can help me has anybody every experienced this? Also I am aware (now) of the dangers of taking unprescibed drugs I only did this because I felt this was my only option. I only took two pills I should be ok to stop taking the propranolol right?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I often get a sense of worry without knowing what I'm actually worried about, and I have G.A.D and OCD. But, I don't think it was completely smart to take medication that is unprescribed to you. How many times have you taken the pills? Because I'm sure that if you only took a couple then never again then it'll be ok, but I wouldn't continue to take them, even if you can't see another way out.

With your (as you described) optionless manner towards your anxiety, I would advice to go and see your doctor and see if you can get some kind of help. You can get better from anxiety without medication, unless that is what you want!!

• Posted

Could be general anxiety. Also, you should never take other people's pills.
  • Posted

Andy, Propranolol isn't an anti-anxiety medication, it's a beta-blocker used to reduce high blood pressure and steady the heartbeat. The latter function is why it might have helped you during a panic attack, when your heart was beating too fast. Please don't take any more. In your case, it's quite safe to stop taking them. (For anyone else reading this, you shouldn't suddenly stop taking beta-blockers or any other BP meds if you have high BP and if you have been taking them for a long time.)

It sounds as if you've got your panic attacks under control in general and this was only a minor blip due to having drunk too much. If things don't settle down in the next week or two, go and see your doctor.

• Posted

Go and see your gp stop drinking and stop taking your mates meds!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi guys thanks for your replies, I have stopped taking my friends meds and have a docters appointment at 11:50am today I will let you know what he says... I'm still sat here worried about nothing it's so weird.
  • Posted

Hi guys been to docters... been prescribed trazodone 50 mg I have to take one at night and should last thru out the day... It's for anxiety and depression... I have to go back next Friday to see how I am on them... hopefully they should work... I havnt took one yet as it is not time too, but it's amazing how just seeing the docter can make u feel 100 times better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.