Constant worrying about seeing health professionals

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had GAD since last October and am getting better, started Mirtazapine early December and this is now kicking in. So the depression side of the illness is going but the worrying is coming back with a venegence.  I am also on Beta blockers to help with the panics.  The worst place for me to go is the Drs surgery and even just picking up tablets brings on a major panic now. I thought I was going to have to take my little one to the Drs today but thankfully hes better (no sleep overnight worrying about it though!) The real trouble is the fact that GP wont put the anti depressants on repeat and so I have to keep going back for a review before I can get any more tablets.  I am spending a huge amount of time worrying about the next appointment (and theres always another appointment to worry about!)  I am planning to just phone next time I need tablets so that should be slightly easier but how can you encourage the gp to put the meds on repeat?  It doesnt help me to talk about my problems and just makes me worse, intially self referred onto a phone CBT course after seeing a poster in the Drs and the CBT just made me 100 x worse.  I was just having problems sleeping and worrying about everything before, no panic attacks and no depression before I started.  I am on a waiting list for face to face CBT but goodness knows why as theres no way I could cope with the anxiety of another run of appointments with someone else, and also fear the CBT just reverting me back to where I was around Christmas and I really dont want to go back there. I just feel like I am wasting everyones time and just want to get off the ride but once the ball starts rolling it seems impossible to stop it. Any advice anyone?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel ..sorry to hear you are having such a bad time .I think the doctor just wants to keep an eye on you ..so maybe won't put your meds on as a routine repeat .Have you told doc about your panic /worrying? There are some really good anti anxiety web sites about....sorry haven't given you any advice but feel free to keep in touch ..you are not wasting anyone's time ..I'm also just wanting to get my life back on track  ..after a horrible couple of years ....take care gx 

• Posted

Rachel

Your GP is keeping an eye on you, go with the flow

You have people who will give support on site

• Posted

Thanks gail and border riever. My gp is lovely and aware that I should be grateful that she is checking up on me regularly. But I just feel so ridiculous when talking to anyone about this (feel about 6 years old)and I should be stronger (as I used to be) and its not just my issues either I got myself into a state yesterday just because I thought I had to take my youngest to gp to check his ear out. He got better overnight so didn't have to take him in the end. Unfortunately the GP surgery is just not a "safe place" and always get into a complete state nowadays. I try to control my breathing and acutely aware that there is really nothing wrong with going to the drs really but no matter how much I tell myself this, it changes nothing.

• Posted

Try low slow breathing through your pouted mouth if you feel anxious, that can sometimes calm your breathing

BOB

• Posted

I've just finished about a year of cbt....I too found it very challenging but I do feel the benefit now ..I totally understand about safe places and how scary it is to get to grips with that ..do you have anyone at home to share how you feel?..I started really slowly going out on my own and I alway took a book or magazine to distract me..Some water to drink ..and yes the breathing does matter ...I'm a lot better and think the CBT is now ingrained in my brain...

If you feel your meds aren't working then maybe another chat with gp...sounds like you have a good relationship with her ...take care and keep in touch .gx 

• Posted

Thank you for your kindness gail. I'm shocked and really impressed that you managed a year of CBT - it really didn't work for me. I will speak to my gp again about me fearing contact with health professionals and the Drs surgery issue but not until I need more pills and they are working as I am lots better than I was a couple of weeks ago. I have tried using books, magazines as a distraction technique but very difficult to concentrate when panicking. I will try again though.

• Posted

Dbt is better for people who had panic attacks. Its online. Many books and workbooks are online. It seems hard to find someone who does it in person. But we are all smart aside form the panic and anxiety.  And it can provide help.
  • Posted

Just a quick update and to thank everyone for their kind words.  I've plucked up courage and rung GP and asked her to put Mirtazapine on repeat and she has and no need to go back.  So all sorted and just goes to show, if you don't ask, you dont get.

• Posted

You sound a lot more positive Rachel ...I'm so pleased for you ..my doc put me on a anti depressant on Mon and omg the difference in me is amazing ..feel so good ...she will be monitoring me every month ...hope you stay well ..gx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.