Constantly depressed . Is it all worthwhile. What do I have to live for.

Posted , 13 users are following.

How do I get over this. Its so depressing being depressed. Its a sort of self defeating illness. Dont ask me I feel so lonely even though I have a wonderful wife. Just lately we seem to be losing friends . They keep on dying and that in itself is depressing. Life just doesnt seem worth living. I don`t believe in the "Hereafter" i think thats just a sick joke

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am the person who is depressed so how can I answer it

• Posted

Dave your not alone wondering what is it all for. I have no one. Feel lucky you have your wife. I am 55 and have started loosing friends. It's hard to believe that they are gone. I lost both of my parent's 6 months ago 8 days apart. I have to believe there is something after our time on earth is done or I would go stark raving mad. I go to self help groups and take medication. Do You?

• Posted

What self-help groups are there in your area? Would be so helpful but can find none around here.

• Posted

Well you have a wonderful wife to live for, it must be difficult for her living with a depressed husband,

Medication is the first way that most people go and if you get on the right one your way of thinking will change radically. Till then like the rest of us you have to just 'hang in there'.

• Posted

Dave....I just read your post and have sooo much to say....but unfortunately I have a doctor's appointment shortly and need to finish getting ready.

I'll get back to you later and hope I can be of some help.

till then, take care and be Strong!

• Posted

Lynda .

Sad that you didn't get back.

Hope the Doctor gave you Good news whatever it was I do hope it was good.

Was I disappointed Yes of course I was.

Everyone hopes for some help or good news whatever.

Loneliness is a very strange thing. You can be lonely in a group.

People don't not realise this,

But we just have to keep on keeping on I suppose.

Get back when you can OK

Regards

Dave

• Posted

Thanks FOR GETTING BACK.

I dont want to go down the medication route.

I d#suffered this some years ago and the "Doc" put me on some pills.

Cant remember the name Think it may have been something like senemex ??Don t know can't remember.

But they were terrible made me like a Zombie. My wife couldn't believe it was me.

Then we saw something in the newspaper about them and there was something on televisions about them

How they had led some people into committing suicide.

Came off of them straight away. Cold Turkey. It was hard yes but my wife noticed the difference immediately.

It also cost me a of of money. I made so many bad decisions due we believe to the medication.

Must have cost me a minimum of £ 30 grand. And honestly that would have been the minimum probably was a lot more.

I had always been good at making decisions and picking the right way to get things done properly

But this medication made me , as I said like a Zombie.

So you can see I hope why I don t want to go down that route again

But I do appreciate the fact that you bothered to get back to me.

Warmest regards

Dave

• Posted

Really agree with that. Especially re meds. You have to stay on them too - not be over-confident and go on and off like I have done, causing several unnecessary episodes.

• Posted

Read my answer to Valerie than perhaps you will understand why I dont want to go down that route again

• Posted

The best advice I can give you is write down everything that makes you depressed or sad on paper even buy a notebook specifically for it. Put everything you are feeling on that paper it has helped me soo much

• Posted

Hi Dave - sorry to read you are suffering. There is no need to carry this alone. Make an appointment with the doc. Discuss what you are feeling. Medications may be prescribed to help ease your mood and lighten the burden. the meds are not a long term fix - they are tool used usually in conjunction with therapy - psychiatrist or psychologist or counsellor or therapist - to address any underlying issues connected with your depression.

Depression is not something you can think your way out of, you need to act to address it. Not only will you feel better about things but you will learn about yourself, learn to recognise any triggers that lead to depression, and learn coping mechanisms to deal with it.

It IS NOT WEAK to seek help. It requires strength to do so, it is the responsible and mature thing to do. You wouldn't hobble around on a broken leg would you? No. You see the doc. You are wounded and need a safe place to share, to be heard and to receive appropriate treatment. Even the act of organising the appointment(s) will help lift you - because you are acting to deal with the problem. We are always here to talk to.

• Posted

Well I agree that you very blessed to have wonderful partner which is more than many including myself have. I think some of the problems are caused by aging as I am in my 60's and seem to be losing friends, some younger than me.

A lot of it is a case of adapting to things that are past and recognising that life is different as you get older. Not necessarily better or worse just different. I agree that you may be suffering from depression though so I recommend a visit to your doctor. x

• Posted

Hi Dave, i can partly understand the loneliness because i felt desperately lonely last year. Someone once told me you can be in a roomful of people and be lonely still. Get out and about as often as you physically can, speak to anyone in shops, in s library in the park or wherever you walk. The more you talk hopefully the less lonely you'll become.i wish you luck, tough place to be.

• Posted

Dave...I'm sooo sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. please trust that I didn't forget you....I'm not like that.

it's just that my appointments turned out to be more unpleasant than I'd expected.

I'm kinda taking a breath right now.

I absolutely will contact you again when some of this stress subsides.

just know one thing, things change on a daily basis (sometimes good, sometimes not so much)....but there's Always hope.

Up till 3yrs ago I (and my adult daughter) were homeless, living out of our car for almost 1yr....I wanted to give up on a daily basis, but kept pushing through.

my point is, none of us ever knows what tomorrow will bring....please hang in there.

I'll talk to you soon, but always know it's absolutely fine to contact me!...Lynda

• Posted

Thank you Lynda.

Sorry it was not good news.

Don`t want to pry so I wont ask what?

Sounds like you and your family have been through a tough time.

Feel very sorry for you all.

When you aweight it all up Life can be a bit of a Bugger at times.

But we all have to keep plodding along. I wrote on here a reply about the drugs they give you and my experience of this would make me run a mile if they put me on t hat muck again.

we must talk again. You sound like an extremely interesting lady and are obviously a fighter.

Warmest regards

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.