Constipated

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started fybergel yesterday and are now constipated as this happened to anyone else. Should I give it a few more days. Thankyou x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes - it takes time for your system to adjust.  Fybogel is a mild laxative.  I think a lot of problems can be caused by started and stopping treatments too soon before they have a chance to do their job, then compounding the problem by starting something else.  If you think about it, the doctor will always tell you to complete a course of medication, even if you feel better.  This is a disease that takes time - to find out what suits you - for your insides to heal - for your body to adjust to a new routine.  There is no quick fix, one method suits all unfortunately.  I took me months to settle after my flare last August.  I still get occasional niggles, but the Fybogel clears me out nicely every morning and then I just get on with life.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Susan,yes give it time,but remember to drink plenty of water,try and cut down on coffee,tea and fizzy pop aswell if thats what you drink.
    • Posted

I feel constipated now and blotted. I only drink decaf tea Don't drink fizzy drinks anymore. I don't think I have drunk enough water I will try again tomorrow and drink plenty Thankyou for the information x

• Posted

Sometimes you can get bloated when introducing more fiber,it can take time for your body to get used to it,just be patient,Did you just take it once in the morning?
    • Posted

That's the best way to do it,slowly ,I used to take it morning and night but realised I only need it once aday now.

• Posted

I am so used to going to toilet 4-5 times a day I find it really strange not to need to go. I may get my life back at last x
    • Posted

Hello  Yes others had said you need to drink plenty of water 6-8 glasses and cut down on tea although I see you only drink decaf.  How many times are you take the fybogel.  It does say to take it twice a day on mine which is fybogel/mebervine (which you might already know is an antispasmodic).  I only take it in the morning and was particularly worried after recently having a colonsoscopy and stopping it.  I restarted it the day after the procedure and have been going easily one a day since.  I should add I always suffered from constipation so I suppose how it works does depend on whether you tend to get loose or hard stools.  Good luck don't give up too soon.

• Posted

I have gone back to antispasmodic tablets albran and probiotic drink The fybergel made me constipated I was told not to take the antispasmodic and fybergel. I am so confused I really don't know what to do. I have a chest infection at the moment so on amoxicillin

• Posted

Sorry I should have mentioned that I have IBS as well and have been used to taking mebeverine antispasmodic tablets although I know they can cause some people to become constipated.  The trouble is most medications have it a side effect and I know how you feel very confusing.  I myself have take calicum.vit D chewable tablets and a diuretic both of which can cause problems.  How lovely it would be if we did not need any medication.  It really is  balancing act but I think in my case my tendency to constipation was caused by not enough water too much tea anxiety and not enough exercise (Iam nearly 70 and have arthritis in spine/neck knees and possible hips) so there are days when I don't feel like going out walking and am feeling down but I am addressing that now and making myself more active.  

Sorry you have a chest infection and are taking amoxicillin.  Does that make you constipated or loose stools.  Take that into account as well.  Hope your combo of albran probiotic drink and antispasmodic keep working for you.  I take a probiotic drink as well.  Hope you are feeling better soon.  Take carex

• Posted

Thank you for you message. I too have arthritis in knees and hips so don't run or walk as I used to due to pain. Had a knee replacement done 5 years ago but the muscle is really hurting know. Yes it would be great not to have to take medication. I am 70 on Monday so I hope to be well enough to go out for a meal x

• Posted

Hello again.  Yes it is nuisance when the mind is willing but the body is not. I have been advised not to have knee replacements until really necessary.  The consultant I saw said they are not as successful as hips and it is a painful operation.  Happy Birthday for Monday I do hope you are able to celebrate with a meal.  Mine is later in the year but my daughter will be arranging something and my other daughter and son will come up.  As long as I am withmy husband children and grandchildren. I will be happy.  My son in law up here has a big family and we usally get together for all birthdays etc.

Take carex

• Posted

It is really painful and mine as always hurt I am like you as long as I see all my children and grandchildren on my birthday i am happy. Thankyou for the happy birthday I just hope my bowel doesn't act up x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.