Constipation??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have had IBS for 20+ years and always been diarrhea and take imodium for it but the past 12 - 18 months it has changed to constipation - been getting heartburn, difficulty swallowing sometimes and discomfort on left side of stomach under ribs as well as ache in lower right back which is tender to touch. I have to admit my diet has been very poor lately and not been eating many vegetables fruit or beans etc. just plain food like potatoes and rice. Starting to panic now - seen 3 different doctors last year and all said IBS but seems to have changed - I am now over 40 and one doctor did say it could change - has anyone experienced this? Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes a lot of what you described I have had on and off. Im 49 and was officially diagnosed with IBS last year though looming back probably had IBS since late 20's on and off it was difficult to officially diagnosession because of changing symptoms... So when all other illnesses were ruled out IBS was what was left...

Go to Doctors get a colonoscopy and a endoscopy.... these two tests can rule out the majority of gut and stomach problems...

• Posted

IBS can change; your doctor is right! Accept what your doctors have told you.   Three doctors have confirmed IBS and one has said IBS can change. This is advice you should trust.  

Many IBS patients panic if they suddenly get different symptoms. An increase in stress can cause it to change and will make IBS worse.  Some people have IBS A which means that their bowel habits alternate from constipation to diarrhoea or the other way round.

I have had back pain and alternating bowel habits with IBS. Pain can be felt just about anywhere. I have had four different types of pain and one of these is neuralgic, sore to touch pain.

Rice is not the best thing to eat when constipated because it binds you up. Instead, cut out rice and replace it with vegetables and lots of fruit to help to loosen your bowel.  Ease off potatoes too because they can be hard to digest.  They are a common IBS trigger.  My brother’s IBS was aggravated by potato.

• Posted

thank you so much for your kind reply - I do panic and stress a lot and have been under a lot more stress these past 18 months with having to have a mammogram and in the middle of moving house and studying being a mum etc etc - so probably stress not helping either 
    • Posted

Sounds like stress has flared up your IBS.  Last year I had a massive three day dose of diarrhoea when I usually have IBS C.   Stress was the cause.
    • Posted

Think stress hasnt helped at minute feel like all insides bruisedainly on left side but also slightly on right sad
  • Posted

IBS pain moves about and causes heartburn. Difficulty in swallowing maybe reflux related, histus hernia or gastritis which can cause rib pain.  However, IBS can cause rib pain too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.