Constipation 4 weeks after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi! It will be 4 weeks on Wednesday since I had my gallbladder taken out. I am recovering really well but find that I have to take laxatives every night otherwise I can't go properly and end up feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Is this normal? I've only really read about people having diarrhoea after removal.

I concerned about taking laxatives all the time.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, I'm only day 4 post op but I've only just read on the internet that you can be constipated too and this can start a few week after gallbladder removal. They do say to go to your doctor and they can give you some medication but also to look at your diet so that you're eating foods that will help to get things moving if you're not already.

So please go to your doctor as no one should be consitipated for any length of time anyway but yes it does occur after gallbladder surgery.

Let me know how you get on. Take care x

• Posted

Thankyou, that's good to know, I have got my follow up appointment with the surgeon later this week so will ask him. I eat lots of fruit and veg and drinking as much water as I can so thought it would be ok by now. Probably doesn't help that I'm worrying about it.

How are you feeling? Hope you are recovering well so far!

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I'm doing ok thank you. Eating a little and moving around but you get tired so quickly but resting lots.

I think worry plays alot of our minds about whether its normal or not but at least on this site we can share our experiences.

Let me know how you get on with your surgeon. Take care x

• Posted

Hello Lucy. My name is jeanine and I just had gall bladder surgery on Saturday March 4th. My tummy is swollen and so are my feet. I have this cough feels like it is phelem. It tries to come up,birthday no success. So I know exactly what you are going through. My surgeon also put me on a low fat diet for the rest of my life. Nothing with fat. I have 4 slits in my tummy. Very painful at times. Hard to sleep can only sleep on one side.
    • Posted

Hi jeanine, I'm just day 5 post op and I know the feeling about the incisions. They were really sore initially so the hospital had to give me morphine before I left but everything does get better. They do itch under the dressings which is always worse at night and so I'm not sleeping too well. I took one of the dressings off last night and it all looks very neat and healing well, they've used skin glue rather than a stitch but I expect I've got a couple of stitches on the belly button incision as its a bigger cut but I don't know yet!.

How's the gas in your body that they use as that can get trapped and make you feel bloated but if it continues or if you have bad pain then you need to go back to your doctor for some advice.

Let us know how you get on. Take care x

• Posted

Hi! I had the cough for a few days as well, think it's normal after surgery, keep an eye on it though because you can get a chest infection after abdominal surgery.xx

• Posted

Yes keep resting, I got tired very quickly and now after a day at work I'm shattered. I have been told it does take awhile to get back to normal because your body is still healing. Xx

• Posted

Also, Meta Mucil or a similar soluble fibre product can really help things move along and it does it without any laxative effect. It just makes things smooth and easy. Have a spoonful well-dissolved in water after each meal. Read the instructions though because you have to mix it and drink it quickly.
    • Posted

Haven't heard of that, thanks, will have a look.x

• Posted

Hi Lucy. I was 4 weeks post surgery this past Friday. I suffered with constipation prior to having the gallbladder removed, since it's been removed I'm going like a champ every day, not diarrhea just normal formed stools. While I was constipated before the surgery I would use aloe from the leaf the goop on the inside blend it with water and drink it. I also used magnesium citrate powder a teaspoon in a couple ounces of water every night those two things to help me go. Sure hope this gets better for you soon, it seems as though we all suffer very differently. And also seems everybody saying prayers for you !! 🙏🏻🤞🏼

Heather

• Posted

Thankyou, I will give it a go. Hope you are recovering well.xx
  • Posted

I've had my gall bladder removed 10 days ago and have experienced constipation as well. What has really helped me is Prune juice as well as earing fruits and veggies with foods high in fiber.

• Posted

Thanks, I've been eating lots of fruit and veggies, I will give the prunes a go as well.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.