Constipation after surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, had keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder Tuesday and haven’t moved my bowels since.

Feel ok from surgery just bloated from not going to the loo.

Other than drinking lots of water, eating fibre has anyone got any tips for me please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Same here....had laparoscopic surgery

For two days my bowels were okay but rite now I'm having d same problem..

• Posted

The hospital actually sent me home with some laxatives. Apparently it is the anesthetic that slows down your bowels .
    • Posted

Yes I did wonder that, also the pharmacist told me codeine slows everything down too which I was taking.

Don’t need painkillers now so should all sort itself out.

Taking a mild laxative now too so watch this space 😂

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Susan take more foods with fibre. Like oats, brocoli and green vegy. Eat fruits like papaya , banana or prunes. You may take laxatives but not too much might give stomach cramps. I also went through it. Have a good fibre diet and drink lots of water. Probiotics will help too. Take care
  • Posted

Susan,

Sometimes the anesthetic slows down the digestive track.  Just keep eating your low fat diet, drink plenty of water, rest and take a walk at least a few times a day.  You'll feel relief soon enough.  Take care. smile  

• Posted

Hi I had the same problem, through all the medication I had taken prior to the operation and after this caused a lot of constipation for me. I ate, Bran at Breakfast that certainly moved me. I realise this is another food item but it’s high in fibre, along with apples pears. 

The hospital had given me a laxatcallrd Movicol which I found very good. 

Also when you start moving around the house any amount of gentle exercise helps with the expelling the gas they put into the umbilicus during surgery. This helped the get my bowels to start working. I also took a supplement called activated charcoal which helped my digestive system and it absorbs the gas. Hope this helps Joanne 

• Posted

Hi my surgeon gave me stool softeners. Not laxatives. He said no laxatives might be to harsh on system. The softeners work by gently moving your system. So it's up to you what you want to try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.