Consultant very very reluctant to operate

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having suffered for years with symptoms typical of gallbladder issues and having no success with diagnosis from GPs and Consultants I arranged my own HIDA scan privately which showed a 20% ejection fraction which by any measure shows it be classified as non functioning. I was eventually passed to an upper GI consultant who doesn't like Hida scans!!!! Thinks they are notoriously inaccurate etc etc. He therefore wanted me to be subject to a full battery of tests before he would in his words take it out himself. Therefore I had a CT scan an MRI scan and an OGD. This was after ultrasound and a previous CT scan and which was now meant to cover all other possibilities. During the OGD he also took a biopsy to check for Coeliac issues.

today I attended clinic and was told that nothing has been identified. I therefore pointed out that the only thing that we have to account for the pain and discomfort I suffer is the HIDA scan showing a non functioning gall bladder so could he either fix it or remove it. Which was as he had agreed to do.

However this has not happened. He has now sent me for a helicobacter test even though I said I did one I bought on Amazon which was negative and which I repeated today and was again negative.

he asked me would I consider a second opinion?...I said I'm not going through this whole pro

he told me he was going to run the whole thing by his colleagues?...

At the end today he did say I dont think I'm going to get rid of you unless I do the operation!,,,,,

however I am now here a year down the line from this attempt to get something sorted and still in needless pain.

i have had all the dangers pointed out to me and I accept them and I have considered everything carefully but want the procedure.

i am so frustrated I am on the verge of going into casualty and making my own incision in my side and starting it for them to finish it!!!! Well not really but I think you get the point.

i told him I think he really has covered the whole clinical protocol as far as I can see but he still seems reluctant. I have a strong feeling that when the helicobacter test a returns negative he will still not be wanting to do this operation and even more time will have elapsed.

what can I do???????

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Wow, may I ask what your symptoms are? I thought the Hida scan was supposed to be The scan for gall bladder issues. Do you think it might be worth the second opinion? You might be referred to someone more willing to operate. Sorry I can't help you re your post. 
    • Posted

Thanx  for the reply. I have pain and discomfort in my gallbladder are and my back radiating to my shoulder. I have bouts of nausea, bloated ness and these are all exacerbated by spicy fatty food, alcohol etc. I think the second opinion he wants is one to support his view of reluctance. I have a history of gall bladder problems in my family which also seems to carry no weight with him. I am certain that I could have it done privately as the ejection fraction on the HIDA is enough justification for surgeons not averse to nuclear medicine. Maybe the issue is he says he has only done one operation before based on non functioning gallbladder which was a success. Kept asking me what I would say and do if it didn't get rid of my symptoms if removed. I find that unable to respond to really. I don't think its a valid question. Apply it in a different scenario. A heart surgeon asking a patient what they will say and do if their bypass doesn't relieve their chest pain?????

i would say this chap is a nice guy and I like him other than I am frustrated by his approach which I cannot follow.

• Posted

Hi Spaced

I can see where you are coming from. If you are adamant that you want it out and you're willing to accept any consequences, I can't see how this Consultant can refuse. Me; I'm too scared to have mine out because I've read about cases where the pain doesn't go. No doubt though they are the minority.

i wish you all the best and hope you get the outcome you are hoping for.

D

• Posted

i think that I am scared also but the pain and discomfort is outweighing my fear. I accept the pain may never go but at least I tried. If I need to live with it I will but if there is a chance I have to take it. I hope you can resolve the dilemma you have and you are pain free soon.
  • Posted

I had to go thru months of doctors telling me it was acid reflux, lots of different medications and attacks later and also the helibacter test (I apologise for the spelling) I had a huge attack went to the doctors 3 days later as I still couldn't stand up straight, was referred for an ultrasound and voilà there were the gallstones......I then had to have blood work done weekly to check liver function and it showed signs of high liver enzymes (fatty liver) this was all due to the gallstones, another attack ended in an ambulance out, the last attack landed me in hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics as I had an horrendous infection, I came home to find a letter from clinic (I had attended clinic and was admitted there and then) for my op to be done on 2 weeks time (I'm now a week post op) my surgeon was dubious to do the op that soon after the infection as the gallbladder gets sticky and it makes the op harder....I begged and pleaded and they did it because at 26 years old I did not care about the possibility of having a large scar across my tummy, I wanted this thing out of me like 6 months a go!!! My surgeon did the op and it was done keyhole 😊

I do think they have to make sure they have done every test possible before they will go down the route of surgery, I too was told that my gallbladder wouldn't be working anymore due to stones and sludge....for 2 months I lived on a diet of a whole meal containing less than 3 grams of fat....I am lucky that mine was done quite quickly really but I do think that was down to being so poorly....you do have to really fight and push and nag and moan to get these things done.

Sorry for the long essay of an answer I just wanted you to understand what I've been through.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thanx for the reply. I am sorry to hear you had such a bad time. I really have had to nag to get to this point. I am very disheartened now though and am really just on the verge of giving up. I look after my general health and diet but feel if I didn't the problems would be much worse. Maybe it's time to let go. I have really hung on in through lots of problems over the last 5 months while all these tests were being done because the consultant told me if there was nothing showing anywhere else he would do the operation. I could have presented to them on so many occasions with problems but just didn't as I really was just going to be told just hang on for the tests to come through etc. So I did and now he says he didn't say that he would do the op which is not really true. So I am at a complete low now and feel let down and have no direction left. The last time is saw my GP he basically gave me some co codamol and told me to go away. I Don't see why I have to fight to have my health sorted. Maybe you are right and I will just plague them with every pain now and become a complete nightmare until they do something.
  • Posted

Oh any attack you get call an ambulance....then go to the doctors and make sure it's all logged x
  • Posted

It might be worth writing to the Complaints dept. of the hospital you attend r, if you are in the UK, contacting PALS and stressing your case. I felt I had to a couple of years ago due to issues I was having with the hospital I attended and I must admit, they were on the case for me getting things sorted. 
  • Posted

Why reluctant it would help if on here you could say your age and reasons. if your not overweight have no enormous stones other why can't you have a keyhole op to remove ? I had same problem in 1992. after nearly two years pain I kept saying my gallbladder but you name it put me through hell and back. Every test imaginable no CT scan then but barium meals poo samples the lot In end kept saying stress my job other No in end kicked ARSE and they gave me a Ultra sound Even the radiologist. sayinglooking my Pancras saying the most beautiful had ever seen. At this stage I said look my gallbladder as my BP was just about to explode lol.Oh yey yes you have tiny sand like gallstones Sorry for the expletives but all this was affecting my marriage children seeing me in pain times off work doctors saying stress. Just made me feel like am I going mad Yepno apology I was right no empathy for the pain had been in No come back on them wasting NHS money or my care under them So now you say what can you do and I say kick ARSE. big time P's you have a none functioning gallbladder it could mean the inside wall is thickening narrowing can affect the bile duct. When you see consultant ask what dangers of removal. A keyhole op is the best option would thought Your the one in pain if it's that bad that you truly feel like cutting it out yourself tell them that. Make a complaint your care or lack of understanding as well Your the patient your in pain.
  • Posted

My reply waiting be approved because I used a swear word Yes I been in same situation in end name a complaint to chief executive Now heads are rolling and Consultant I was under had to see me many mistakes my care This was this year over my dirvirticular disease However. My gall bladder op all the tests in 1992 and removal. Same. problems same excuses couldn't. go through all that again
    • Posted

Well thanks for taking the time to reply. I received an e-mail to say that the helicobacter test had come back negative  and that based on this he would now put me on the waiting list for laparoscopic cholecystectomy. 

However, he had one further question of how my gallbladder had been stimulated during the HIDA test. Did I have an injection, because the interpretation of results could be affected??? I pointed out I had fatty foods given to me to stimulate it which I read up was the best way as it reflected the real bodily responses in a better way than having a CCK injection. So I am assuming now that there are no issues that can possibly be raised any more and I am eagerly anticipating my operation date. So for anyone struggling to get someone to listen to you, stick at it and hopefully one day you will get sorted out. I was feeling like giving up many times but stuck at it with GP visits, letters and phone calls etc etc. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.