Contemplating a hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies!

I'm new to this forum. I am 41 and have had to have my right ovary removed 15 years ago before kids. Since then I have had two children. After my daughter was born almost two years ago I went full force into peri symptoms too many to mention. I am currently consulting with a doctor about having a hysterectomy. I wanted to get an idea of what to expect afterwards. Will these crazy symptoms subside, get worse or be pretty much the same? Can someone she'd some light? Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I'm not sure why you need a hysterectomy. I had a massive fibroid that was causing me all sorts of problems. This is a major op and takes a long time to recover from. Get all the medical advice you can. If you lose your remaining ovary you will be thrown into a surgical menopause - the full works. I kept my ovaries but had an induced menopause due to pre-op Prostap drug. That is taking time to wear off. Thought it had then the hot flushes started again. It's really tough. Good luck but if you don't need this op don't have it.
    • Posted

I bleed heavy during my periods and have a plethora of symptoms. They are going to do a sonogram beforehand anyway. So we'll determine from there what needs to be done.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow, following abdominal hysterectomy for fibroids. I'm 45 so opted to keep ovaries ( to prolong the menopause as much as I can)....... Iikewise I would seek clarity on why there is a suggestion of a hysterectomy if iits to relieve symptons of menapause?.... Although I know long term it was best for me, there have been times over the past 3 weeks whereby I wished I had putupwiththe symptons off fibroids..... This is a big deal......I hope that you receive the advice you need...the NICE guidelines are some very good up to date research on such issues on their website.
  • Posted

Hello lovely i am 5 wks post TAH on monday but i have kept both ovaries. I had hysterectomy because of a large fibroid and horredous monthly periods. I know its early days but i honestly think it is the best thing for me. I have a long way to go but definitely think i did the best thing . Take care lovely , hope this helps and u make the right decision for you. Xx
    • Posted

They removed the uterus? So you have no periods, obviously but do you get menopausal symptoms still?
    • Posted

Hi lovely obviously no periods i didnt even have any bleeding after. I have no menopausal symptoms at the moment. Thats not meaning to say i might get them sooner rhan expected. Chance they could come on within 1-2 years .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.