Contrast reduction with the Tecnis Symfony lens in non cataract eyes

Posted , 8 users are following.

Question .I am looking for comments on how much the Symfony lens has reduced contrast in non cataract eyes.

I am planning to have bilateral Symfony lenses with my non dominant left eye done first with a 0.5 correction for near reading.

Then the second right eye with no near correction a month or two later adjusting for the results from my left eye.

I am 49 and i do not have cataracts or drive much at night and my prescription is

R +3.25  -0.75x95

L +4.50    -0.5x45

I DO NOT want to wear glasses for mobile phones or distance golf etc but would for an occasional intricate hobby.

How much contrast reduction as a percentage has been experienced?

I have been editing a picture using Microsoft Office picture manager and reducing the contrast by percentages and up to about 15-20% would be acceptable to me.

I look forward to any comments.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

From your email, I'm assuming that you are doing this surgery just to correct presbyopia? If so, the advice that most on this forum are going to give you is not to do it at all. Every presbyopia correcting IOL will come with tradeoffs and there are substantial side effects just from the surgery itself. Multifocal contact lenses, bifocal or progressive glasses are just so much safer.

Or am I misunderstanding your reasons for getting the Symfony iol's?

• Posted

I had technis Symfoni lens .  I see large concentric circles on red light , incoming headlights,halos and starburst which I didn’t had before insertion. Whether if you jut a rider in the car You will see these in your eyes due the fact they are made with acrylic materials and these are the side effects  . I had my eyes done 2017. Yes there’s a trade off. It’s safer to wear readers for your presbyopia Eyes.
    • Posted

Hello, just a question about your night vision with the symfony lens.  im 52 and had my left eye done about 1 month ago.  it was due to a non-traumatic rapid onset cataract.  the day vision is great.  indoors i do notice some glare around artificial lights.  my main concern is the night vision.  i see the concentric circles and starburst glare with any automotive lights. i was considering getting the other eye done as my depth perception is noticeably off.  im curious if you've noticed any improvement or "adaptation" regarding the night vision since your procedure. 

• Posted

Hi Michael85451

I had Symfony lenses implanted July and August 2017 respectively.  Great daytime vision and although less glare and starbursts now the concentric circles still an issue.  These will not go away as they are part of the lens design.  It is the trade off to seeing well at all distances without glasses.

If you do not have a cataract in your other eye you may want to hold out for a better IOL.  Nothing is the same as one’s natural lens.

There is a new EDOF lens with a little better focus than Symfony that should become available soon called atLARA if you want to google to find out more.  But I would suspect it has some form of halos too - always worth waiting for ‘real’ patient reviews as the clinical trials tend to downplay these.

I too at 53 developed cataracts both eyes very quickly (my doctor indicated it may be related to my long use of steriod creams for eczema).   But from one year’s eye exam in 2016 where no mention of cataracts to following year could not get correction better than 20/50 and 20/60 with glasses necessitated my cataract surgery.

• Posted

Hello Sue.An,

thanks for the info and taking the time to answer; the atLARA does look promising.  the symfony does seem to be a great lens in the day, but the night driving was quite the surprise. im not sure if you can comment, but my symfony eye vision the first 2 weeks post op was clear. at the 2 week mark, i noticed more glare with the indoor lights; the visual acuity is fine.  i had the 1 month follow up and they feel that the posterior capsule was clear. if the posterior capsule does start to opacify, is it usually a gradual process? i did ask at the follow up visit, and got the redirect to "give it more time". its hard not be be hyper-vigilant with your vision. my background is emergency medicine, so perhaps i need to be a more patient patient smile 

• Posted

Yes can relate to ‘hard to be a patient patient .’  Especially if one is still working full time and not a retired senior.  Needs are so different.  I work full time in a bank - which was my reason for going with Symfony.  My operations were last summer 6 weeks apart. I did know about the concentric circles from this forum - although hard to fully appreciate the extent of these even when I heard about them.

Have your opthamologist or optometrist do a full eye exam to know what your exact prescription is at about 6 weeks (time when healing should be complete). I found that helpful to know.   Both my eyes are plano although I see sharper through right eye than left.  But the astigmatism remaining is slightly higher at .50 in right eye vs left eye at .25.  That can cause some of the visual artifacts to be worse.

I haven’t noticed anything off with inside lighting except one time I was in a store with a black ceiling and found the overhead lighting to have too much glare.  I also see slight highlighting around white lettering on a black screen (TV, computer etc).

For first couple of months (6 to 8 weeks) I had very strong glare and starbursts- do much so I didn’t see any concentric circles and thought I was someone that wouldn’t see those.  But as the glare and starbursts subsided I started to see the concentric circles and to this day I still notice them around red stop lights, car brakes (when applied) and certain LED porch lights.  I even a couple of weeks ago noticed them in a public washroom up close on a red LED light that was on a motion sensors paper towel machine!   Glad though I don’t see them on floodlights and I can watch a soccer match and enjoy it like I used to!

For me I found the glare and starbursts worse to deal with and I think you’ll find in 6 month’s time those will diminish.  The concentric circles I tend to tune out but they haven’t diminished.  Some see those rings equally bright from the smaller Center ones all the way to the outer rings.  For me they are brighter on inside rings and get lighter on the bigger ones.  I do think it is lens design and what allows the elongated focus so not anticipating those to go away ever.

Unfortunately no lens is perfect.

Inside lighting - do you notice the glare more in dimmer settings or all the time?  I tend to find the glare more prevalent in low light settings.

It’s too bad most of us have to return to work within a week as it really takes time to adapt.

• Posted

yes, the indoor fluorescent type of lights (department store) seem to make the surrounding glare more notable. i also agree that your natural lens is the best, until the cataract impedes the vision. i have a contact lens in the other eye and it also has a cataract, so its just a matter of time before it needs to be removed. trying different contacts in the non-symfony eye makes the depth perception just enough off that it makes the day a little harder. its only been six weeks from surgery, but the anomaly between the vision is difficult to adjust.  i followed a few of the other ongoing symfony discussions, and it seems that for better / symmetrical daytime vision, getting my other eye done would still seem like the best option. it seems that a lot of patients have the night time issues, but if glare subsides a little over time, then the spiderweb (concentric circles) are a reasonable trade off.  i'd be concerned with just one symfony and a monofocal in the other eye.  i do like the suggested improvements with the atLARA, but it may be a bit of wait. 

• Posted

I suppose I was either lucky or unlucky that both needed doing.  I sympathize with your situation and trying to find a workable solution.  In the 6 week wait between surgeries I poked a lens out of my glasses and managed that way - although my prescription was never strong (distance lens only).

Not sure how far away we are from getting the atLARA lens.  For you - hopefully not long.

I did find overall vision improved after 2nd surgery.  I see well from 11 inches and beyond whereas that distance was 18 inches before - more fully extended arm to read iPhone.   I just actually finished fixing my sunglasses - lens fell out and had to screw it back in.  I am able to do tasks like that well with Symfony.

• Posted

Hello Sue.An,

I appreciate the time you took to understand and respond to my questions. Most of the online Symfony discussions have been informative and offered some unique perspectives on expectations and outcomes.  I wasn’t sure what to expect from an online forum, so thanks for answering my message in the bottle. 

• Posted

There are lots of good people here on the cataract forum.  I wish you well - it’s not the easiest of decisions and one that most of us have to learn to live with.  Maybe one day the lenses can be adjusted after they are implanted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.