Controling your thoughts

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am not able to control my thoughts, it gets to a point where it over takes me and I am unable to do things and enjoy life. If people don't see it, it's not a problem. Any help. Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Are they upsetting intrusive thoughts or just regular negative thoughts?
    • Posted

Just negative thoughts play in my head, it seems to overtake me and I cannot do the things I want, I thought I was stress due to not working but it's just the negative thoughts. I don't find joy in anything anymore.

• Posted

It sounds like you could be depressed. I would recommend seeing your doctor to talk about treatment options. They might be able to refer you to a psychologist. Therapy can be extremely helpful for changing thought patterns and it is easier to stick to when you have a professional guiding you rather than attempting to do it by yourself. There is also medication that can help depending on severity of symptoms.

Good luck. I hope you find some relief soon. Don't be afraid to seek help/advice from your doctor.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with this as a form of OCD called Pure O.  It is ruminating thoughts over and over causing me great anxiety. I have not other signs of OCD, but I do suffer from anxiety. I have been given 40 mg of prozac for this by my pdoc, and after 1 month, it seems to have subsided and calmed me down. I am holding on, becuase it it like a miracle almost.....
  • Posted

Hi Mohammed,

Sounds like racing thoughts. I have this but after years it's finally subsiding. With mine it first started with worrying about my health thinking I was gonna die. I also thought I'd damaged my brain.

Anyway was a vicious circle cos was seeing no improvement with my eyesight and derealization.

Recently I started believing the extreme anxiety at the time changed something in my brain, not the skunk.

This seems to have broken the vicious circle/cycle.

And now I can go back to doing things I used to enjoy.

I hope this gives you hope that u will be fine again. I do suggest you try an antidepressant though to help calm it down.

• Posted

Thanks. I always feel that people judge me for any mistake I make or anything I do I life. They use to says things like it had to be him, not again. Typical me. I just don't feel like a human anymore. When I was school things like this use to happen to me. I was not very bright. So people use to take advantage and now I always feel like that.

• Posted

Unfortunately there are people in school who say the most inappropriate things to knock u and these things stick. Not just kids but teachers too.

Everyone gets compared and sounds like you were a scapegoat for criticism which ain't fair.

So what if you weren't great at school. School is a battleground. It's what you do after school to build your life.

You should have been encouraged and nurtured properly at school. Not ur fault, others are to blame.

You sound to me like a really compassionate human being which is a great strength. Ur a good guy.

As to how to change the way you feel, there should be available a group for people in same situation as yourself. Go to ur docs and ask. Or look on internet for it.

In fact I'm on a course now called Compassion focus therapy. Essentially it's about how you feel about yourself and what compassion is. I've been able to talk about these comparing thoughts I have where I feel like I'm not a good as people around me.

Hope this helps

• Posted

when you’re feeling frustrated, upset, tired, or angry about something, your tendency will be to “press on” or “fight through” or “get past” whatever it is that you’re feeling. This is not a good strategy.

Instead of pressing on, take 5 minutes to stop what you’re doing, and think about your thoughts. The next few steps will help.

Every feeling we have is the direct result of something we were thinking. Therefore, if you’re feeling anxious, begin by stepping back for a minute, and asking yourself, “Why do I feel anxious?”

Write Out Your Mental Movie or Mental Tape:  My coaching clients often tell me that this simple step usually calms them down in a big way because, getting your tapes out of your mind removes some of their power.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.