Convinced I'm really ill

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I've searched the net to find a forum that can hopefully help me.. give me some advice at least.

Ok so I'm completely convinced I have some sort of cancer and I'm dying.. it sounds absolutely ridiculous when I type it but it's true.

I have ibs, it was confirmed on a private scan/baby scan but every time I get a pain, ache or cramp I'm convinced it's sinister. I search the Internet and symptom check but I refuse to go to the doctors and I'm sure you can guess why? Because I don't want to know if I'm dying.

Am I crazy? I do suffer with stomach cramps etc which has been the same for 4 years and is down to ibs but everytime I get a pain I start thinking and panicking 😔

Any advice? Am I alone with this, please tell me there's others here the same 🙈

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Everything you've described is health anxiety. If its any comfort there are a lot of anxiety sufferers who also have ibs. Often they trigger eachother so the more you worry about your stomach pains, its very likely they'll get more noticeable.

I've been through the exact same thing and unfortunately the only things that have helped me deal with feeling like im dying have been this forum, distraction or going to the doctors.

I really hope your anxiety eases up a bit, its no way to live being terrified that you're dying every day.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Naomi

No you are not alone I suffer with this too. I have suffered with these feelings for years but really bad more recently. I had nausea and tummy cramps which my doc put down to stress and I made them give me loads of tests which all came back fine but I still didn't believe all okay.

I'd say if you are worried book an appointment to see doc but it sounds like if you have IBS and these symptoms have been coming and going for 4 years that it probably is just the IBS...I'm not a doc though. Don't be scared to go talk to your doc about these feelings, sometimes a chat or a test can put your mind at ease (in my case it can't i need to put the worry away in a box myself) but if you have any new or worrying symptoms I'd say go and chat for sure to rule out those worries, a lot of these symptoms can be caused by worry anyway so you can get caught in a cycle with a symptom causing worry, then worrying about it, then that worry causing more symptoms and so on...you need to break the cycle somehow. Counselling can help.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm the same, I'm obsessed with my heart, even after all the tests came back normal I still think I'm gonna collapse and die, your not alone!!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry to see your going through this I. Going g through the exact same thing I get aches and pains I'm right away I think I have cancer I do have health anxiety it's hard to believe your mind gas that kind of power to make you feel pain the first thing you need to stop doing is looking up your symptoms on the internet or Google there are many illness's that are out there 2nd if you haven't gone get a check up

I know it's scarry but it's better to know what's going on be sure to tell him what you afraid of drs are very good at what they do third talk to a therapist some times talking abought what's going on and having that reassurance helps diet lots and I mean lots of water will reduce ur aches and pains no caffeine no soda will help as well also plenty of rest and positive thinking does wonders it's not a cure all and you'll have some difficult days but keep at it and I guarantee you will see results bust of luck to you

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I know how you feel, I have suffered from tension headaches for a time now and have managed to convince myself that I am dying. It's a mental state where I feel like I live each day as if I am terminally ill even though I am not! The only thing that has helped me is just getting out and exercising and distracting myself as much as possible. I think tackling the anxiety which is the root of the problem is the best thing to do rather than trying to remove the symptom itself, good luck and I wish you all the best!!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up