Cost Effective Solution for Solar Lentingines - Alpha Lipoic Acid?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 48-yo mail.  About three years ago, coincidentally about 4 months after going to the tanning bed before a vacation (and I've rarely gone to tanning beds throughout my life and used sunscreen regularly), I got two dark little specs on each cheek under the eye.  They have gradually grown over the last three years to be approaching the size of a pencil eraser and look funny since they are so symmetrical on my phase - while I except the aging process - these little guys have to go (I have otherwise quite good skin inherited from the Polish side of my family.) 

I'm in the USA and prefer to spend a bunch of money on doctor appointments and treatments.  I'm a research wonk and have done through reading and it appears the best solution is the Q-switched Nd:YAG laser.  I'm guessing it would take care of them in one (albeit expensive) treatment.  There are also the lightening agents (Mequinone, etc) and the peels.  

Based on my research it appears a Jessner or 70% Glycolic + 35% TCA Peel could be helpful but frankly I don't want to go through the 7-10 day downtime and it may require multiple treatments which may end up costing as much if not more than the one laser treatment.

I did read studies indicating the 70% Glycolic peel alone was just as effective as the Jessner peel but with less downtime (erythema).  I have done light peels before with Salicylic and Lactic acid and have read proper procedures.  I think I will try a 70% Glycolic Peel at home (maybe 2 minutes on - with buffer solution ready) and see how that goes as that should be a relatively safe light-medium depth peel.

Here's what's interesting though.  The darkness of my lentingines can fluctuate and I initially thought it had to do with UV exposure, even though whenever I go into the sun I put SPF50 on my lentingines and at least SPF15 everywhere else.

However they lightened signficantly over night just the other night for no reason I could tell as I put nothing on them.  I do have a bit of a cold - not sure how that would make a difference.

What IS different is that I began taking fairly high dose Alpha-Lipoic-Acid supplements, 1 x 600mg per day.  And now I read (although it isn't that commonly mentioned) that ALA can have an effect of the body's ability to melanin by inhibiting the action of the tyrosinase  enzyme and ALA is also known to help recycle vitamin C. 

So I'm not sure if the seemingly overnight lightening of my lentingines is just coincidence or if it has to do with me taking moderate doses of it for the past several days?

So I'm wondering about in general if my approach is sound regarding getting rid of these, and more specifically, could the ALA be the cause of the lightening?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Interesting that at no point have you considered these may need to be biopsied for malignancy. Perhaps consult a dermatologist first and get a professional opinion before any removal. 
    • Posted

I had considered that so what I did was pay for an online consultation with a Dermatologist where I sent them a close-up high resolution photo of both cheeks.  The diagnosis was solar lentingines. 

• Posted

Per the description of the condition...

"It occurs in sun damaged skin so is generally found on the face or neck, particularly the nose and cheek. It grows slowly in diameter over 5 to 20 years or longer. "

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.