Cough! Indoor Allergens caused by baseboard heating?

Posted , 3 users are following.

As the weather is starting to get chilly, has anyone developed a cough? I seem to have this dry cough that barely produces mucas if any. Lately it just seems like I have this urge to cough as the seasons are changing. I bought a house recently and I have old baseboard heaters. I can’t tell if it from me cranking them up for the season or allergies. I am a smoker which does not help I know. I had tests run for my lungs and heart and all of that stuff done about 9 to 10 months ago. The tests revealed that everything is normal so no asthma and other issues. I just find it odd that I have this cough lately going on for almost 2 weeks now. Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How long have you had this for?

Do you have any long term conditions?

Are you taking any meds?

Do you have a sore throat or Post-Nasal Drip?

You may be developing the start of COPD and if so this will get much much worse over the coming years if you don't stop smoking.

• Posted

It started with this season changing from summer to fall. I am on Zyrtec for allergies and a reflux medicine. I do not have a sore throat at all but I do get post nasal drip every once in a while. Last year I had post nasal drip almost every night during the winter.  I was tested for COPD 9 months ago and it was negative. I do exercise in the mornings and I do it feel short of breath or anything like that. 
    • Posted

Both post-nasal drip and laryngopharyngeal reflux can cause a cough. But you’re on the right medicines for these.

Bare in mind that the tests for COPD test for emphysema and narrowed airways. They dont test whether goblet cell density has increased (another part of COPD) - so this cough could still be smoking related.

• Posted

True it could be smoking related. Even as a non smoker I would still get sinus infections and bronchitis every winter or fall. I had the heat off last night because it warmed up and I have been perfectly fine so far today. A few days ago I was perfectly fine without a cough also. I do find that when I am stressing out I tend to cough more as well. I did however have post nasal drip for a tiny bit last night but only for about ten minutes or so. I think that my reflux and allergies, even on medicine, are still impacting the cough along with smoking. I do need to quit before it does turn into something irreversible 
  • Posted

I get asthma attacks at night from baseboard heating. I have asthma that is triggered by allergies which means i am allergic to baseboard heating. Hope this helps. You need an inhaler.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.