Could a thyroid problem be the reason I'm tired

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, I am a 19 year old female and I have been struggling with very low energy levels since I was 16. 3 years ago i had a blood test to figer out why and it came back that I had abnormally low blood glucose levels, I have had numerours tests since then and each time it comes back as being out of the normal range and too low. In addition I have become very emotional, I feel the cold, I have had no menstraul cycle for 2 years, I have dry skin and brittle nails. I also have random stomach pains that are so bad i cant move, as well as daily headaches. My mother suffers from hypothyroidsm and although I had a thyroid function test that came back normal, I was at the high end for TSh (it was 4.09) Does anyone know what could be wrong? Could it be hashimotios disease? Thank you so much in advance 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Blood tests change all the time, ask for repeat with t4 and t3. 

It might be worthwhile posting in the the thyroid forum. They are very active. 

• Posted

Hi

TSH alone is not enough to evaluate thyroid function. T3 and T4 are also required.

Your symptoms sound more like you are malnuorished or anxious. Do you eat well? What is your weight and height?

If you are not anorexic, your low blood sugar is a bit more of a concern than your thyroid right now.

Do you feel weak/dizzy/confused an hour or so after eating?

Do you consume alcohol?

Have you had your liver, pancreas, renal function checked?

What is your doctor doing at this point?

• Posted

Hi 

No i am definetely not anorexic, i have a normal BMI of 19.5, and I have always suffered with a low blood sugar, and been hypoglycemic, but the point is that it could be due to suffereing from a thyroid problem. I don't drink alcohol as I compete at a high level of sport (running/hockey) I think I may get my antibodies tested/ T3 and T4, do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.