Could I have a problem with my gallbladder?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After working for 20 years without a sick note - my health has been poor for the last 3 years.  Presently I have chest pain behind the right breast / ribs.  Sternum sometimes aches also.  Doctor suggested that it was muscular, but I have my doubts.  I often feel that when I get flare ups of this type of pain - it is accompanied by other digestive problems such as reflux / globus, some heartburn and lower abdominal pain.  sometimes mild nausea also.  The pain is worse at night - particularly at around 4am when it often wakes me up and I can't get comfortable enough to get back to sleep. 

Yesterday at the advice of my doctor I decided to try osteopathy to see if it would help.  However it seems to have aggravated the situation.  Last night the pain was even worse.  Today I feel totally wiped out - nausea, headache and the chest pain is constantly gnawing away.  I am at work, but cannot continue like this.  I had an ultra sound 3 years ago - when these flare ups started and it was clear.  I have requested another ultrasound, but the waiting list is 3 months.  I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on this as I am getting desperate.

Many thanks

Julie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Can I just add.  When my problems started around 3 years ago I had an ultrasound which was clear.  Since then I have had an OGD - which showed and inlet patch (Like Barretts but non-progressive).  I have also had an endoscopy recently which was clear. Thanks. Julie
  • Posted

That’s how my gallbladder issues started. Pain that woke me up at night  which was so bad I couldn’t find a position comfortable enough to sit or lie in. Had nausea and lower stomach pain too. Ended up getting appendix out last year as they thought it was that. A month later was back in hospital and had ct scan but didn’t show anything.

A few months after that I had a really bad attack which one of the other GPs in the practice said was a urine infection and gave me antibiotics. Fast forward another few months and had another attack with yellow stools and this time pain was definitely under right ribs. GP sent me for ultrasound (which was done within 3 weeks) which showed small gallstones.

Was on the waiting list to see surgeon for elective surgery when I ended up in hospital for a week with extreme pain and nausea. They couldn’t see any stones on the scan this time and weren’t convinced it was gallbladder.  I ended up getting a HIDA scan as outpatient the following week which showed poor functioning gallbladder. I’d had appt with surgeon who agreed to remove it but was just on waiting list when got admitted again for cholecystitis. Gallbladder got removed the week after (4 weeks ago) and felt better since. 

If you’re still feeling rough today phone your docs and get an emergency appointment. They may send you up to hospital if they think you’ve maybe got an infection. If the pain goes on for 6-8 hours or longer this is more likely. Have you got a temperature as well? 

Otherwise go to out of hours or A&E when the pain is too much. They can give you better pain relief! Hope you get some relief soon and get your life back on track. Understand this only too well as the past year has been torture with my sickness from work xx

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  You don't have to have stones to have problems with your gallbladder, sometimes they become diseased and stop functioning.  An ultrasound doesn't always pick up on small stones and sludge. I suggest you get a referral to a gastroenterologist, who would know better how to diagnose and treat you.  GP's can often be completely clueless.  Your's is ignoring the other symptoms that accompany your pain.  Bad gallbladders don't always present with the typical textbook symptoms that doctors look for.   

Please let us know how you get on.xx

• Posted

Thanks guys.  Have stuck it out for 5 more days and it is no better.  I am going to go to A & E as the NHS waiting list for an ultrasound is around 3 months and I just can't continue like this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.