Could I have aspergers or extreme social anxiety disorder?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I don't know if I have aspergers syndrome or extreme social anxiety (or something else). I'm trying to get a good idea of what it could be so I can talk to my doctor about it. I'm 18 and I have no friends and rarely leave my house (never alone). I've had 'friends' but have never felt comfortable around them and feel as though I had to put on an act (I don't see them anymore and never want to see them again). I find it so stressful being around other people especially my age and a bit older. I find it hard to have a conversation and feel very anxious doing anything I don't feel like I can do. I don't want to have friends or go anywhere that requires social interaction. I have had fits of extreme anger where I swear over and over (mostly by myself so no one hears or sees me). I also have severe emetophobia. I have had many panic attacks (often leading to convulsions) and have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression (years ago). I am sensitive to loud noise and I notice that I do things like pace back and forth and tap my collar bone. I can't envision myself as independent, driving vehicles, or being in relationships. I like to be alone but I wish the world was more like how I see it. I just don't feel like I can be a normal functioning person. I don't feel like I can be an adult. Something has always felt off to me. Please let me know what you think and I'm sorry this is so long.    

5 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels tested as deficiency in these can cause similar symptoms to what you are experiencing.

I suggest you ask your doctor to test you if for no other reason but to rule them out.

• Posted

I had them checked 3/4 months ago and everything was normal. No deficiencies.. But I will have them checked again soon just to be safe. However, these issues have been going on for years. 
  • Posted

Hi! First of all, your doctor should be able to give you a definitive answer - you don't need to know what disorder you have to talk to them. And they will be able to accurately answer your question (unlike me).

However, I would say that from what you've described, it seems like you have aspergers. But as someone with aspergers, I am probably quite biased in the amount of knowledge I have about it, as compared to social anxiety. It may even be that you have both - you mentioned that you had previously been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, which is more common in people on the autistic spectrum because of the struggle to fit into a world that is so alien. 

I really hope you manage to get to a better place.

• Posted

Hi, speak to your GP and say your concerns and ask 'what the process is for getting diagnosed with autism/aspergers'. If you can't get out, say so to the receptionist and see if the doctor will phone you. If you can't handle phone calls, write a letter to your GP - is there someone who can post it for you?

• Posted

Hi anais84202. I was a "normal" kid growing up but very mischievous to say the least. In high school I would fight a lot due to being to sensitive. I could be having a conversation and someone could say the smallest thing to make me feel small and to the "normal" person it wouldn't even be anything wrong with what this person had said, it was always personal to me. I'd get upset over small issues that weren't even there in other people's heads. I always new I was slightly "different" in the head I'd always feel like I was in my own little world living in a strange one that my head couldn't really understand lol. But I got on in life I had a bunch of friends I went to school but life was easy I had no commitments it was what was in my head wasn't easy it got worse as I went through my school years I got into trouble a lot and was targeted for my actions. I would later on in school get picked on but I'd always no matter what beat these no good individuals up 4 guys against me that didn't mean anything to me, once I lost control they'd all be on the floor painted red within a few minutes of throwing punches at eachother. I got kicked out for sticking up for the great of good. At a young age I started to take drugs. I lost myself somewhere down the line. I went from anger management classes corridoor to coridoor doctor to doctor tablet to tablet I nearly ended up in the nut house that wasn't for me I wasn't insane. Just something wasn't quit right. Doctors blamed the drug abuse, I just felt like a total outcast in life. I didn't fit in. I would turn up to meetings 45 seconds in pick my stool up and hurl it through the window out of rage of people speaking down to me doctors treating me differently I couldn't handle it. I'd always scream I WANT TO BE NORMAL MAKE ME NORMAL WHY AINT I LIKE YOU OR ANYONE ELSE. This went on for some time I would sooth myself with alcohol and drugs day in day out just to get out of reality for that little bit. It helped to an extent but I'd always wind up in a jail cell for the night countless times, I was very bad. In the end I was somehow diagnosed with "Asperger's syndrome" I'm 24 now and still to this day I don't understand how one doctor can tell me this after knowing me such little time. I have no clue. I've been told I have mild symptoms of the disorder. But my argument was if I was to go outside now and grab any random off the street you'd diagnose them with some sort of disorder. she said yeah your right. Lol. By saying that. I've never been good in groups for example sitting down at the dinner table eating with a whole bunch of people talking, or family gatherings talking is my weakness in large groups or jokes hurled at me I just can't do it. And I used to have a similar thing you tapping your shoulder id bang my teeth together and count in my head ONE TWO THREE FOUR. It had to be in sync otherwise I'd be there all day doing it, for real it was intense lmao. Luckily I don't anymore. My "condition" got a lot worse as I got older. But out of no where I managed to do something I never have been able to do before. This has given me a lot of hope, really. I cannot believe it. If I can do it anyone can believe me. I'm far from the most social guy out there but I had a break through I pushed through the boundaries and actually done it. I went out for a family meal I never have been able to. My heart was pounding but I did it. I know it's not all in my head but I scared myself from doing it nearly all my life. Somewhere down the line. I also don't know if I have Aspergers or if it's just social I guess I'll never know. If you do really struggle there is one pill that did help me if you take a high enough dose and this is an instant working one called busperone. not feeling independent, I still don't and I'm 24. I had terrible panic attacks really my stomach would be doing somersaults and I'd nearly pass out my life would flash before my eyes. I don't have many friends only people who I grew up with. Always remember family are your main friends and hopefully are always there for you and you are there for them that's the main bond. You don't need friends really. What your explaining I think I can really help you with if you want to talk about anything I believe I can totally fit an answer to your question I know exactly how you feel. I hope I haven't bored you I really do hope something in this helps, I TRUELY understand. Message me privately if you'd prefer smile

• Posted

.........ps.... what is normal? wink just because others are different. We are different so they are not normal? That's the question. Everyone is different no ones "normal" we are all unique individuals. Don't ever put yourself down. I did for years and years. Except who you are, and go from there. You are you, god made you perfect in his eyes. You can't change who you are like really. Only the good or bad choices we as humans make in life can change the direction of your life and better it. Your different to me. The guy down the road is different again. But what you don't know is that he also has severe anxiety. You know what I'm saying? It isn't just you or me. And you live your life how you want to and can cope to never let others control the direction of your life unless it's obviously good advice then listen to it. But head up. Try to think positive I know it's hard I really do. But happiness is real in small doses for me but just to feel that little bit of life makes it worth while.

• Posted

Wow, thank you for both of your posts!! I found them really encouraging. You didn’t bore me at all! I love hearing other people’s stories and it’s comforting to know that others do understand. I really hope things are going well for you! smile 

• Posted

I'm not a professional (I'm 17 and a junior in high school), and have anxiety myself, but I think I have an idea of what you might be going through, but it can't replace a clinical diagnosis... I think you might have anxiety, and maybe anger a little bit, too, and you might have borderline Asperger's, or slightly less than borderline, but I don't think you need a diagnosis to get professional help, you just need to be in need of help... I was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2014 and received treatment for it, but if I had it, I might have needed a para to be with me to be in a regular classroom, even WITH treatment, and one of the reasons it might have seen like I had Asperger's as a kid was because I used to be homeschooled, which obviously ruins social skills and doesn't allow you to get an appropriate education, but that wasn't said to offend any homeschoolers or just because I think it's true, but because it IS the hard truth! I know I was going way off topic there, but I just thought I'd throw that in there, and I'm glad I got to public school now because it's better in the long run, even though it's a lot harder, but you should probably keep researching Asperger's and anxiety and talk to a professional...sorry this is so long and boring and possibly annoying, but I hope what I said helps...peace ??

• Posted

i am not a professional but i do have a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder have you taken the online test AQ10 online ? when i asked for referral i printed out my results and gave them to my doctor along with printed pages of  my development and social interaction lots of information  to back up my need for assessment, hope that helps 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up