Could I have hyperthroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve recently had my TSH levels checked due to rapid weight loss, hair loss and anxiety. They were within the normal range, 1.5. My question is, is it possible to have hyperthroidism with normal tsh levels? My vitamin d levels were suboptimal and my iron was a bit low, so the doctor thought this could be causing my symptoms. Any thoughts as I’m not convinced and I am considering getting my T3 and T4 checked privately. Has anyone else had normal tsh but ended up having hyperthyroidism? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sarah40069, it is possible to have a normal or even elevated TSH level and hyperthyroidism (elevated level of thyroxine T4 and/or triiodothyronine T3) at the same time. 

This kind of disorder is rare compared to Graves' disease, the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. For more information, you could google 'secondary hyperthyroidism', that is hyperthyroidism that is caused by factors extrinsic to the thyroid. One such cause is e.g. a  TSH secreting adenoma of the pituitary gland. 

It is not very expensive to have a private thyroid function test so if I were you I would have it done privately. Make sure that you include TSH as well to have a complete picture. On the other hand, maybe you could persuade your doctor to repeat your thyroid function test including FT4 and FT3. 

• Posted

I had that but only for about two weeks.  When I was checked 3 weeks later, my TSH was less than 0.001.  I once had weight loss and anxiety and depression though.  My thyroid wasn't checked at that time but I am sure it was normal then.  I think it is a good idea to get all your values checked including Free T3 and Free T4.  Vitamin D is essential for good thyroid functioning and when I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, mine was deficient.

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies. My doctor would only give me further tests if my tsh levels were low/high. I’ve seen a private test for tsh, T4,and T3, which is a reasonable price. There was a more expensive one which tested a couple of other things but do you think the cheaper one would be ok or is it worth spending a bit more? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.