Could I have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'll try make this as short as possible.

I'm a 21 year old female with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and POTS. Over the past 2/3 years I've had 4 bouts of GI related problems (vomiting, severe diarrhoea, cramps etc) but they've never been caused by infection, food poisoning or a gastric flu.

About a year ago when I was moving home from the village I've lived in all my life and I suddenly took a strange allergic reaction type thing. It was only on my face and it was really bad - eyes swollen shut and everything. I assumed it was something I was using and bought new make up, cleansers etc and it cleared up. It's happened twice since then with no known cause. Most recently though, I started with trouble swallowing around 7 days ago. Then 2 days later my eyes swole up and I got a rash on my face, pretty much cleared up after 2 days and then the next day I was crippled with vomiting, diarrhoea and cramps. I'm still recovering, still having some trouble swallowing and I can't help but think it's a bit more than a coincidence that all these things seem to be happening for different reasons. I find I'm always worse if I'm stressed or coming near to my period. I think it's all connected. Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated, thank you smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You definitely sound like someone who has mast cell issues going on and if I were you I would see an immunologist right away. I have biopsy proven MCAD and have many of those symptoms when I'm triggered. I have to carry epipens because of my reactions to wasp/bee stings. I am triggered badly by dairy, soy, corn, yeast and lots of other foods and chemicals. I am also "allergic to my period" and get hives from all forms of estrogen or birth control. Aspirin and NSAIDs trigger me, too.

Getting a diagnosis and learning to avoid my triggers as well as being put on the right medicines made a huge difference for me. Again, I would contact an immunologist right away and make sure to ask ahead of time if they know about mast cell disease. It's pretty new so a younger doctor might be your best bet. That's who finally put it all together for me. I hope you get answers, I know how frustrating and scary it is. xo

• Posted

I have the same issues, and my husband pointed out how it always happened arounf my period except when i was pregnant (the first and worst attack). I think you should do some research and find a doctor that knows about these disorders. Apparently there arent many in the US where I live so I was going to the ER repeatedly and being treated for an allergic reaction. One medic even accused me of OD'ing on some drugs.

• Edited

I have exactly the same as you samantha96666. I was not diagnosed with EDS III until 18 years ago & then about 15 years ago I was also diagnosed with PCOS. Just like you I too get bouts of digestive systems problems, usually with a lot of pain in tow!

About the same time my PCOS was diagnosed I was also diagnosed with a stomach ulcer, largely caused by my medication or so I was told. However, despite being super careful with my medication and being careful to eat before taking them, the stomach pain continued. I would have bouts of dyhorrea and extreme pain. in the end the GP said it was IBS but whether it is or not is another question entirely! I do work full time despite having a Beighton score of 9 and having had to have a number of surgeries and more to come over the next 3 months. But all of those are for the Ehlers and not for the stomach pain and extreme lethargy that I now live with, which is always a zillion times worse when my stomach systoms flair up.

I am based in the UK where access to medical professionals are almost always your family doctor, but because it is a government run service and money is tight, they wont refer you to the hospital unless they are forced to, which means what's actually wrong with my digestion is still a mystery.

I wish I could answer your questions, but hopefully between us we will get some answers and then help one another 🤞🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.