Could I still get side-effects after 5 days on Mirtazapine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, Tonight will be day 6 on 30mg mirtazapine. My doctor said I could expect some side-effects within the first two weeks and I have read about all the possible side-effects. After 5 days on mirtazapine I have not yet had any of those side-effects, so my question is if i was going to have side-effects would they have started straight away? Can I presume that if I haven't had any undesirable side-effects after 5 days that it won't cause me any?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My side effects started after 13 days, trots, deep deep depression, anger and rage, awake all night, asleep intermittent during the day, weird vivid dreams and nausea. Three days shy of 4weeks and I phoned my psychiatrist on Thursday to leave a message saying I refused to take anymore as they were having a nasty effect, never mentioned they tasted like arse, it's now four days later and I'm on no meds at all, if it was as good a drug as they say I'm sure the mental health team would have got back to me to tell me to carry on. 6 days? I would come back and tell us more in a week. It's evil and does not work, as proved by the tinned silence of the psychiatric team, but then I am only on the NHS which I have only been paying in to for 30 years!
  • Posted

Ok, guess I shouldn't get my hopes up yet then. I agree that they taste awful!
  • Posted

I have been on Mirtazapine (30mg) for just under one year. My advice to you is NOT to take instructions from people who have no professional qualifications on a forum such as this. If you have ANY concerns about the dosage of the drug OR any side effects that may result , then speak to your GP or your local pharmacist. You can request a quick chat with a pharmacist at any large chain pharmacy or indeed an independent chemist.

Speaking from personal experience, the side effects subsided the longer I took the dose, in other words, the side effects were more pronounced at the start of my taking the medication. However, it can be a very personal experience regarding side effects. Go as questions to your GP/Pharmacist.

• Posted

Hi LondonLife thatnkyou for your reply, yes I would never take instructions on how to take my medication from people on here, I have read about some people on here who have just decided to change their dose themselves or to just stop taking their medication suddenly without the advice of their doctor, this seems like I recipe for disaster to me. Just with so many people saying about all these awful side-effects they have had from mirtazapine it made me question whether these side effects would be immediate. I understand everyone is different though. I took citalopram for about 8 weeks before this change to mirtazapine and only symptom there was nausea for first couple of days. Thankyou for your information, I didn't know that you could request a chat with a pharmacist, this will be helpful in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.