Could It Be Something Else

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering if the symptoms of gallstones could be due to

something else and how would you know?

It seems like if you have gallstones the only thing that the medical profession do is want to take the gallbladder out .

I'm waiting for surgery but am worried that I might go through surgery and still have the symptoms I've got!

I need this pain to stop but I'm so scared of the operation as I also suffer

with chronic fatigue and dread to think how I'll feel after.

Anyone else suffer chronic fatigue and had the operation?

How was it afterwards, did you cope okay ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

It's a difficult decision, I know.  Diseased gallbladders can negatively affect the liver, pancreas, stomach and intestines.  They don't improve with time, and if one puts off the surgery things can only get worse. Hanging on to a bad gallbladder is like trying to keep a rotten apple in the midst of good ones.  Reasonably, if you've got a bad gallbladder, you won't know if or how it has contributed to your chronic fatigue until you have it out.  You might find that your condition improves.   

Most people recover and do well after gallbladder surgery.  They don't often write into sites like this. smile

Good luck and please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi Linda, its only through other tests to rule out other conditions do they know if the pain is caused by the gallstones and unfortunately  if the gallbladder is making gallstones then this will continue which is why they remove it. This wasn't always the case once keyhole surgery was developed it gave people with gallstones or gallbladder problems a much better outlook as they didn't have to do open surgery unless needed.

I found the surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, yes I had pain afterwards and I felt stiff and it does take a while to recover but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I think for alot of people they put up with the surgery and effects because they can't cope with being in this sort of pain anymore.

Unfortunately I can't take the nerves and being scared away as that is all part of it but I do wish you all the best. Others on this site have tried low fat diets but eventually they have to have surgery.

Let me know what you decide, take care.

• Posted

There is no way of predicting whether you will be one of the unfortunate few that suffer symptoms after cholecystectomy. I know of five people who have had cholecystectomy - four laparoscopically and one open. None had any lasting symptoms and made a full recovery. I also had the open procedure earlier this year and I'm making a good recovery. I have vitamin D deficiency which made me very tired. Since surgery I've gradually got more energy. I think I was suffering ill effects of having a bad gallbladde for some time before the pains started. I agree with the two previous replies. If it's gallbladder it won't get better on its own. Low fat diets help the symptoms but don't address the cause- only surgery will do that. My advice is if it's gallstones don't delay.

• Posted

I was in the same boat as you...constant pain and all sorts of other issues, despite imaging and bloodwork showing that I had no gallstones and my gallbladder was operating at a good pace. However gallstones can often hide and move around which makes them very hard to detect. I decided to take a chance with the surgery after years of putting it off and it went very well. I didn't have many effects afterwards, the pain went away but so still get discomfort if I eat too much fat. It's generally worth it considering how bad gallbladder pain can be. Putting it off will only cause too many problems.

I tried all sorts of diet and lifestyle changes to avoid surgery. At one point I was basically on a very low fat diet (<15g a day) using only fruits and vegetables as my diet. This helped stop the pain but as soon as I ate anything else like lightly cooked chicken, oil, nuts etc the pain got worse, so it was time take it out.

• Posted

Hi All, Thanks for all your replies.

I'm getting all the rib pain, back and front so I think it's time to have it out. I'm finding it hard to eat anything with fat , it gives me pain and goes

straight through me . I don't expect this to get better after surgery as read of so many people have fat digestion problems after surgery.

If the pain goes away and I have to stick to a low fat diet it will be worth it

. Wishing all of you the best and thanks for your advice .

Will let you know how I go on and no doubt I will be looking for more advice especially after surgery.

Linda x

• Posted

I will tell you right now, slippery elm powder will do wonders if you're getting cramping or diarrhea. It's simply amazing. It coats and soothe your digestive tract with a thick mooshy slime.

Applying some herbal cream or heat cream after surgery will help lessen the pain.

Best advice I can offer is to change your diet for the better. Many people who have their GB out eventually resume a normal diet (some even go on high-fat diets like Aitkins or Ketogenic). But you need to be wary that gallstones were caused by poor diet in the first place (not necessarily too much fat, in fact one of the main culrpirs is too little fat which causes the GB to get lazy and dry). Whatever happens after surgery, stay away from processed foods loaded with chemicals and salt. No fast-food. No refined sugary junk food and lollies.

Experiment with also cutting gluten and dairy out of your diet. These are heavily linked with causing gallstones because of your body's inability to deal with them (just because you don't get symptoms doesn't mean they're not harming you). Eat plenty of fresh fruit and veggies with anything else in lighter amounts smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.