could my dissociation be caused by drugs?

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 3 years ago I had a very bad experience with alcohol & weed (i was cross-faded). Also I know i was being stupid and im not like this anymore. Anyways, i had been drinking more than i ever do, then i took a hit off a bong and about 30 seconds later everything got fuzzy. I think i started to black out and was feeling the effects of strong weed at the same time. I was freaking out on the floor - i legit thought i was in a dream because i didnt feel like i was myself or i was controlling my actions. For hours after that night i couldnt talk or move because i felt so detached from reality. Anyways, the next day on my drive home i realized those detached feelings were coming back. Ever since then ive experienced dissociation quite often. It happens at random times, sometimes when im talking to someone face-to-face or walking through a big store. It feels im cross faded again or this is all just a dream. Has anyone else experienced long-term effects like this from any drugs? Why did this happen and will it eventually go away? 😕

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The answer yes - it CAN be caused by drugs. You can look it up on internet, but I'll tell you that someone very close to me experienced this.

He says that it was the worst thing that had ever happened to him. he has never used again, but this feeling of dissociation kept happening from time to time YEARS, even decades after the event. I'm not saying this to scare you, but to incite you to seek help.

He got into therapy in his mid 30's and it did him a world of good,. It helped him put the problem in the right scale and not over-blow it. It happens more often than we think and even though it is scary it's not that horrible. He learned how to deal with it.

One of the triggers he had over the years was an anesthesia he was put under for an operation, 15 years after the initial event.

It's a pity he didn't seek help earlier because it can be dealt with. One doesn't have to suffer alone with this.

• Posted

Wow im sorry for your friend! This was definitely the one of the worst experiences for me too- it was probably traumatic for my brain or something and causes dissociation "flashbacks" now. I'm glad he got help though. Luckily my dissociation isnt too bad and doesnt happen that often, but it definitely weirds me out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.