could really use peoples help/advice/opinions

Posted , 3 users are following.

As some of you will already know I suffer pretty badly with anxiety. Ive been getting pains behind my left breast/upper rib cage for months now, ive had tests done and all came back ok except for I had kidney stones

Today I have had quite an active day, fishing, walking, swimming. I had dinner and afterwards I got severe pain again behind the left side of the chest but also the right side, had a few bubbly sensations, not sure if its just trapped wind, or anxiety issues, or something more serious.

Feel so scared at the moment don't know what to do with myself, so scared im going to have a heart attack and die. 

Please can anyone help

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Stop worrying, these pains are common with lots of ailments, wind, ibs, gastric problems, other stuff, try some antacid, or painkillers. No one knows of course when theyre gonna die, but these pains dont indicate you're about to, seriously, I've had these for years and the gurgling wind etc, and I'm still here. Your body's a lot stronger than you think.smile
    • Posted

Thank you anne! smile

Very hard to get past the anxiety when it takes over

Very grateful for your reply x

• Posted

Anxiety's a terrible thing Kerry. I am 63 and I have worried all my life about being ill and dying until recently, I remember having the doctor out in the middle of the night when I was only 23. What a waste of time, because here I am all those years later and never had a serious illness, so what was the point. You sound like you are fit and have plenty of energy try to enjoy it and be happy.x
    • Posted

Im sorry to hear that. It does sound like myself I've rushed myself into hospital and emergency doctor appointments a number of times now and apart from the kidney stones everything has seemed ok. Anxiety is a real bugger, everything feels so real and its hard to tell yourself differently. I will try, I try tell myself lifes too short to spend it worrying like I am, but it doesn't always work x
  • Posted

Good tips from anonymousgirl, Kerry. The one that has helped me most is meditation.It teaches me how to be in the moment and helps in times of anxiety and has helped me to sleep better.
  • Posted

Suggested this on a different thread but here goes...

The best thing to do first is become aware of your physiology, or the very real physical symptoms you're experiencing. They are there. It isn't necessarily a symptom of anything else but if you fear it is, you should consult your GP. If you have physical checks and they eliminate the problem (ECG for heart, etc) then you should put it down to anxiety.

How to deal with anxiety is subjective and it depends on how disciplined you are in being able to set yourself space and time to be able to perform breathing exercises rather than rely on medication being there for you to help you. 3 things I've found are the most helpful - 1. Guided Meditation, 2. Mindfulness and Awareness, 3. The '7 to 11 Breathing Technique'

Guided meditation, first of all, is quite structured and disciplined in the sense you have somebody there guiding you through the process of meditation (obviously) and you don't want to disturb others doing it at the same time - but similarly expect others to respect you whilst you do it.

Mindful and awareness can often come hand in hand with guided meditation. Through mindfulness and awareness, you become aware of where you are and most importantly what your body is physically experiencing. In focusing on these feelings (chest pain, shortness of breath, pins and needles) by breathing them in, in a controlled manner, by breathing them out you are effectively telling your brain and body to breathe these pains out too, and they will eventually go away.

The 7 to 11 breathing technique is when you breathe into your lungs through your mouth, nose or both, until your lung capacity is completely full - it may even hurt; you may use parts of your lungs you've never used before - and hold your breath for 7 seconds. Following this, you purse your lips as though you were blowing out a candle and gradually exhale until your lungs are empty. You hold this for 11 seconds and don't take another breath.

Keep doing this for as long as you want. The longer, the better. During the exercise you might experience forms of euphoria; your fingers may tingle, your head may feel slightly dizzy - this is good; this is tension unburdening itself off you; don't worry about it. Instead, focus on it and treat it as a good feeling.

With all of this, it will not be an immediate cure. Mindfulness and awareness courses, and meditation classes take time to book and when you go to them, both take patience to master. The 7 to 11 breathing technique you can perform whenever you want.

My advice would be to understand for the first two you won't get anywhere this week but if you take steps now to look into them and how practical it is to do them, by the end of the week you may be on the right track.

• Posted

Thank you anonymousgirl for the list, really handy to.refer too! And thanks boing, im certainly intrigued by your methods and will look Into that.

I feel most of my problems at night time

This last week during the day I have been pretty active but night time hits me hard and I feel so scared and anxious

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.