Could this be Anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I'm 16 years old and for a few months now i'v been feeling different. Ever since the beginning of my summer holidays in july i'v noticed i'v not been the same. For a good few weeks i was having panic attacks almost every night my breathing was terrible felt like i was just going to stop breathing, then later on in the month i kept waking up from not breathing every time i was almost asleep i'd suddenly wake up breathing quickly i was so worried, but my mum said it's probably because i was stressed with exams a month before but ever since then i feel like i'v got worse i'v always got something to worry about. Now for the last few days i'v been worrying so much like every time i have a sore head i think its worse like a tumour and i'm going to die or i feel dizzy oh i'm going to die basically everything that is wrong with me i think i'm going to die, am i going mental?             

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

No Hun your not. I feel the same. Go to your doctor, tell them  ALL your symptoms, get a physical. You can go from there. One step at a time. God WILL make a way!!!
    • Posted

Thank you for replying smile i'm gunna go into the doctors tomorrow and make an appointment. I'm just sick of thinking i'm going to die all the timesad i just want to be back to normal  
  • Posted

Hi Aimee. You are very definately not going mad. You do not have a mental illness. You are not about to die. These are all symptoms of Anxiety and is quite common. Though it feels horrible it will do you absolutely no harm whatsoever. You will be ok. Go and see your doctor and get checked out just to reassure yourself that there is nothing physically wrong with you. Tell him what is going on for you. All that is happening is that your body is giving you a big burst of adrenaline because it believes that it is under some sort of threat (which it isn't). This causes all kinds of uncomfortable physical symptoms like headaches, shaky legs, shortness of breath, pumping heart, sweaty hands, butterfly stomach, tense tight muscles especially around the eyes which makes the eyes feel tired, stomach troubles, over-sensitivity, over-reacting, hyped up, tense and wired up and therefore find it difficult to get to sleep. All these effects are caused by the hormone adrenaline. It feels very alarming and scary but there is nothing wrong with you. Many thousands of people are feeling exactly the way you are tonight. You are very much not alone. Best Wishes and a Hug xx
    • Posted

Thank you for replying! Wow thats great to know i'm not going mad always been thinking i am:') i'm going to the doctors soon to get checked out i'm not wanting to go on medication but if the doctor tells me to i willsmile i'm still trying to get over this 'Death' thing i know i wont but at the time in my head i think i'm going to, i really want it to stop. Thank you so much for the fantastic advice smile *Hugs* cheesygrin^ xx
  • Posted

Hi Aimee I'm the exact same as you! I'm 17 years old and I suffer with really bad health anxiety and I go through these symptoms everyday! Trust me you are not alone and you will get through this! It's a horrible time to go through but it will pass and your not alone trust me you will be fine! I went through it very bad in July and I went through depression too but it passed and I'm not a better person cus of it but I still have panick attacks and really bad anxiety! Which I am In the process of trying to control😊 here for you anytime! Xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying!smile i'm sick of going through symptoms everyday and having panic attacks everyday i really just want it to stopsad hopefully it will pass, i dont want to go on medication and my family don't want me to either.  I just feel like everything that is wrong with me is going to lead to deathsad like i feel embarrassed saying that because it probably sounds stupid but now i always seem to be illsad thank you so much so the great advice smile xx 
  • Posted

I think it may be exam stress which has caused you to worry about even more things.  So try and focus on passing the exams and not on things going wrong with your body because it is just you worrying too much.  Hope you do well

Richard

• Posted

Thank you for replying! Yeah my mum says it could be this, i could just be worrying about my next exams which are 5 months away sad 
  • Posted

I can understand your pain.. I have been living with healh Anxiety for past 10 years... Intially it was not too much as Internet was not accessible to me in College so I used to Ignore the symptoms but My Anxiety increased after I started seaching for Symtopms on Internet. Now I have cheat pain, No relaxation, Not able to breath completely, Weird feeling in chest both side.. the list is big.. it been while I have been had a feel good. Problem is I have usual health issues which are nothing to worry but those issues make me think I will die anytime as those are sign of big serious illines is round the corner. I have been vising bunch of doctors for reaasurance. Last year when I had my first Panic attack they gave a Amrptyline hcl after taking that I had bunch of side effects which Increased in Anxiety and again I had panic attack so Stopped the medication.

I have developed a Phobia for Medicines and I fear even for taking a small paracetomel. Few days back I tool Brufen and Aspirin as I was having Back pain and the side effects were horrible so I stopped that. The side effects are still there and I am thinking I have Brain Hameorage, Heart Desease, Stomach Ulcer, Intestine Ulcer, CKD, Liver desease, Scatic nerve.. the list is big.

I can't tell you what do.. may be you can ivolve yourself so that in the process to forget all this things...

• Posted

Thank you for replying!smile i'v been finding it really hard to relax, i'v always been like this i don't know why even if i try to have a relaxing bath i can't or just try to relax and watch tv, today i had a pain in my left breast which made me so scared and have a panic attack at school this is everyday now i'm getting sick of itsad i'v been to the doctor he didn't want to put me on pills because i'm 16 and i just need to try and relax but i just can't sad thank you for all the advice smile
    • Posted

Aimee I am the exact same as you! So irritable and I'm in the middle of a slight panick attack right now and I'm alert and hyped up now when I was trying to sleep ugh😞 it's really affecting me in school too and I Duno how to cope! Yeno what add me on fb Hun and I can help you through this x
  • Posted

Hi Again. You wont be able to relax. When the body is anxious the nervous system switches to a different system, the sympathetic nervous system, which is part of the INVOLUNTARY nervous system. This controls things like the heart beat, breathing, sweating, lots of things. Things we dont have to think about because they are all done AUTOMATICALLY by the body. The uncomfortable feelings in your body are all now being caused by this involuntary system. The point is - it is out of your conscious control. You cannot 'think' the symptoms to stop. The only thing that this system responds to is Mood. If your mood is anxious it will continue to activate because it senses (from your mood) that there is danger (there isn't any). There is no point in trying to control the symptoms because you cannot do it. If you can relax, distract yourself, or just have the symptoms and dont worry about them (because actually they will do you no harm) then your Mood will change and the anxiety will slowly lower and dissipate. The more you panic about having the symptoms and having these horrible feelings, the more anxious you will become because the body 'reads' your Mood as being agitated and scared. The more you can just relax about having these unusual and uncomfortable feelings, the quicker it will go. The 'symptoms' mean absolutely nothing apart from telling you that your sympathetic nervous system is active. That's all. The scared thoughts are just that, scared thoughts. Thinking you are going to die can be a very convincing illusion, but it is an illusion. Nothing at all will happen to you. The worst has already happened (the horrible thoughts and feelings). It doesn't get worse than that and it will pass. The best 'cure', if you can do it, is just ignore the whole thing, (the thoughts. the feelings, the bodily sensations). Dont waste any more of your life bothering about it. Let it all go, and get on with enjoying your life as best you can. I'm not saying you can just do that, it might seem too much at the moment, but having that ATTITUDE as much as you can, will lead to an improved mood and to less anxiety. It does not need your attention any more. It does not need you worrying about it because it will do you no harm whatsoever. You do not need to do anything to 'fix' it or make it go away. If you can leave it alone it will leave you alone. It will go by itself. You will be fine. Hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.