Could this be gerd?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone! First of all I want to say that I wasn't diagnosed with gerd, but I'm suspecting it.

I just wish to hear your opinions and experiences.

So I Almost always feel bloated after a meal, sometimes it's like I can feel the acid spreading through my whole torso, I also often feel as if I'm coming down with a cold. I'd get a sore throat and excessive mucous productions so I constantly keep clearing up my throat because of which I've developed a tic. Sometimes I'd wake up at night or have trouble falling asleep to begin with because I have heart palpitations and some weird anxiety which keeps waking me up. And this is especially after a larger mean and interestingly tea which I like having before bed. I can feel the acid literally erupting. But the worst thing is a feeling of breathlessness... It often feels like I lack oxygen or can't take a deep breath. Sometimes I have a need to press my diaphragm down so I can take a breath.

Has anyone had this? Could this be gerd?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it could be GERD. Try not having large meals, cut down. Don't fill you stomach up. Tea with milk could be a problem as caffiene and dairy can trigger reflux. Trial and error with what irritates you but don't eat less than three hours before you retire to bed.
  • Posted

Hi Valentina, it could also be airway reflux or some call it LPR.  I finally found some answers for me via the voice institute in New York, Dr Jamie Koufmann has written an excellent book called 'The Chronic Cough' and The Reflux Diet about these problems and the many different anomalies associated which has made a lot of sense for me.  

From time to time I have had those feelings of breathlessness, it's worse when I'm stressed, anxious or trying to do too much. My breathing gets all out of sync and I do what you are trying by conciously sitting down with my hands on my stomach and focusing on breathing properly.  Do you think you could be low in iron?  I've also found that can sometimes have an effect for me.  

Like Dyezee I would definetly give up drinking tea before bed and I don't eat or drink anything for four hours beforehand.  It takes a bit of getting used to but I am so much better because of it.  I try and avoid diary and wheat.  I also find a glass of water with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in it helps after meals if things do get that bad.  

Best of luck and remember you're not alone with this there are loads of people out there with similiar problems.  

• Posted

Yeah my iron is a bit low and also my vitamin D, but I'm taking supplements. I also feel worse when I'm anxious or stressed I know how you feel... I also start hyperventilating and feel like I might pass out and sometimes even have a full on panic attack. I've heard about Dr Koufmann's diet and I want to try it out, but I'm afraid to do so because I was told I need to eat dairy, all kinds of meets and such because I'm iron and vit D deficient. May I just ask you if you have a feeling that breathlessness worsens when you lie down? Because that's how I feel.
    • Posted

No I don't feel breathless when I lie down but sometimes (if I have eaten too close to going to bed) it makes me cough.  All a bit of a mystery neutral
  • Posted

Hi valentina:  Can you tell me how you felt before this issue started?  Did you have any conditions prior to this?  What medications have you used over the past two years?  I'm asking these questions because GERD can be caused by other health issues.  If we can find out what happened to start it maybe we can find the cause and solution. Jonathan
    • Posted

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I was completely healthy clean eating and sporty. I think the problem occurred when I stopped doing sports and started loading up on junk food and overeating in general. I gained some weight and the viscous cycle of crash diets and overeating began. But that was 5 years ago and I feel like the problem worsened. Also the last 5 years have been really stressful and I don't think that helps much... But the breathing thing is just so perplexing because I used to be a swimmer, a singer and I played flute...
    • Posted

Please see my reply below to youngatheart1, maybe there is some information that you can benefit from.

Please also try eating plain probiotic yogurt 3 or 4 times a day.  Some of the symptoms you describe could be bad bacteria causing bloating in the small intestine, making it hard to breath. 

There are so many organs in that area that the enlargement of any one can cause pressure and difficulty of the diaphram to move freely.

• Posted

I've visited a radiologist and had an ultrasound of the whole abdomen and everything seems to be alright in there. I was also tested for helicobacter and some other bacteria but nothing in there... Guess I'll just have to try the diet. And pain? Is that also a symptom of gerd? Because I don't really have any. I mean I can feel the acid stinging, but I wouldn't call it pain really.
    • Posted

That is good news!  Although we back to guessing at what the problem is.

Yes, GERD sufferers often have severe pain as the acid damages the sensitive tissue of the esophagus.  If you can get a handle on your problem you may be able to avoid the pain.  But, I am sticking to the suggestion on the yogurt.  It can only help improve your digestive system.

• Posted

Hi I have had all these symptoms and I felt like my airways were sore down from thyroid to between breastbone. It felt raw and made me catch my breath and cough. It was painful to press either side of my sternum. I have taken esomeprazole 40mg for 9 years without problems, this all started last November due to adverse health reports my GP suddenly without warning or consultation reduced my esomprazole to 20mg, I then got virul tonsilities in early January and my symptons spiralled out of control, I had blood tests, ECG's, chest X ray, blood test for heart attack, it showed nothing. But still the palpitations, chest pain, sore throat etc continued until in May I had enough and saw a different GP who said it was classic gerd. He told me to go back onto 40mg esomeprazole and take 2 x 150mg ranitidine daily, within 1 week the symptoms had gone. I also started taking milk thistle which works for me. Symptons gone, life good, last week or so weaned myself off to just 20mg and 1 ranitidine, all fine until yesterday pain in chest and throat restarting so know I will have to restart the higher dose again. The weirdest thing for me is that I can hear my heart beat when I sit down or when I am in bed, it is really freaky and I feel dizzy as well. I HATE GERD.
    • Posted

Perhaps you could benefit from strengthening your esophageal sphincter.  As long as the liquid from the stomach can pass upward you could be in danger of recurring GERD.

I was suffering so much 6 months ago that I had to cut off most contact with friends and relatives because most people don't understand this pain unless they are suffering with it.

I did some research and decided to try drinking carbonated mineral water to build pressure in the stomach and force my esophageal sphincter to work.

After 2 weeks I was noticing major improvement.  And now after about 6 weeks I not longer have the acid reflux problem.  But, I will continue the carbonated water therapy forever, because I don't want this problem to come back.  I still deal with some other unrelated issues. If you want to try it, drink about 8 oz of carbonated water, then hold down the burp for 3 to 5 minutes to start.  Then release the air, burp.  Keep doing this 3 to 4 times a day until you can hold the pressure without effort.  The esophageal sphincters job is to always stay shut unless food or water is passing.  And it is supposed to be shut all night while we sleep.  I don't know what causes the weakness but I know it can be reversed without surgery.  I almost signed up for some crazy magnet ring surgery, but I'm glad I did not do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.