Counselling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I have suffered life long depression and am on long term meds.  Mostly fortunately it is mainly mild but with some nasty flare ups where I am suicidal.   It seems to be changing recently and thoughts of suicide are on my mind more (I don't have a plan though)  To this end I sought NHS counselling.a few weeks ago.

However the mental health services have changed the way they operate now and are rationing it much more severely in my area.  I went for an assessment with a counsellor, teelling her of my feelings, and discussed a few of my issues (there wasn't time for more) and she then went in to see the psychiatist and came back with a diagnosis of moderate depression and said my ad's should be upped etc,

I then had a letter back saying I have just been referred back to my GP.  I haven't been offered counselling at all even though I told her it would help me.   I feel stuck now as I am on a very limited income and there is no way I can afford to pay.  My doctors won't help with a private referral,  so is there any way I can get free or very cheap counselling please.   I can't find out anything about it on the net for my area though I guess it is available. 

Has anyone got any ideas how I can access it please (my doctors don't know).  Thank you.   x

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

They do counseling with mental health on a sliding scale in most areas so you could afford it. Or you could talk to a pastoral counselor in your area. There is always hope.Keep the faith and you will get better. Hugs.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

are you out of the uk my love? here in england we are fortunate to get the help but again its like everything else it takes take and resources are stretched I get so mad when I hear things like this when people who need the help are not given it. here they have recognised it more and are more aware of "mental illness" I too have suffered many years with depression only twice been really bad first time after the birth of my last son twenty= two years ago and this time but I am also going through the early stages of menopause which had exacerbated my anxiety and depression my heart goes out to you my love I have never been at the point where I am suicidal but I know a few people who have. I know this isnt  a site for councilling but I have found so much support and comfort on here just being able to talk. I am on ad,s and beta blockers also I take alternative remedies to help.Although it is more recognised now depression stress anxiety I still don't think there is enough done to help. unless you have been through it I don't believe anyone can understand what we go through and some of the professionals are text- book professionals. go and see your gp and see if he can give you anything to help you initially, do you have family support? I found out this time by telling my family and my work colleges I have had so much support and they have been so good if Im having a bad day I tell them just by releasing that and them being understanding it helps so much but I know I am fortunate to have that support.I have also started cbt. if you have no one else to talk to come on this page my lovely someone will always talk to you I know im always here if you need someone. take care my love 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sue thanks.  Yes I am in the UK.  In my area they are now assessing first then limiting counselling to those whom their criteria says need it more.   It's not available now to anyone who wants it.   I think CBT might be but I have had that and it was useless for me. 

Thank you very much for your kind words.  I have lots of issues so it would probably take a book to list them.   I went on 7 teacups once and talked online to a listener and he couldn't believe how many issues I have.   I need professional help to try to sort them out though talking to lay people sometimes help - well only online but it's much better than nothing.   I have virtually no support in real life unfortunately and  my sisters don't want to know.   My parents are both dead now but could never have talked to them,  and I have no partner or kids. 

I don't feel safe enough on here to go into details with many of them,  nothing against the site but it's just the way it is.  Thanks again Bev x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Hypercat

If you ring Citzens Adivce they might be able to tell you about free counselling in your area. If you live in a city there should be all types of counselling, if you live in a town there might not be as many free ones. 

Or if there is nothing out there go back to your doctor again if you have thoughtsof suicide they cannot ignore it..

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Laura thanks for your reply.   CAB in my area is horrendous and they never answer calls.  You have to queue up for ages as they are only open 2 half days a week now.  They are so busy I think they would send me away with a flea in my year if I asked them this!

I think you are right - the best thing is to go back and see my lovely female doctor and ask for her help.  Mind you I have told her this in the past and she asks if I have a plan.  When I say no I am 'downgraded'  to help some time in the future maybe.  I am sure there is volunteer counselling available but the trouble is accessing it.

Oh I did see your reply accepting my apology on another post,  but I deleted it in error and couldn't find it again as was getting to confused.   So thanks for that. 

Hope you are ok love.  Bev x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Frustrating isn't Bev when all you want is a bit of support and its so hard to access at times.. I think because the services are inundated with people having anxiety and depression due to life having such high expectations.. If anything you would think there would be more services popping up..

Do you have any women's groups or places for battered women etc in your area they might know of free counselling??

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up