Cracked tooth

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have a tooth that had a deep filling before coronavirus became a thing. Just after lockdown started I got an abscess and my dentist gave me antibiotics which sorted it. A week later the filling fell out of the tooth and a couple of days later the tooth cracked right down into the gun line. It is now in 2 pieces and I can wobble part of it with my tongue.

Every now and again the roof of my mouth swells for about 24 hours and then it bursts and tastes foul. If it is an abscess it is unlike any I've had before. My dentist has told me that there is nothing they can do about the tooth at the minute and to ring again for antibiotics when it swells. I am swilling my mouth regularly with salt water and using corsodyl morning and night.

I there anything else I can do as I don't want to be taking antibiotics every couple of weeks?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Im not sure the roof of your mouth swelling then bursting? thats sound like something from a horror movie? But i can tell you that there is no saving this tooth and you need to have it removed. Its actualy your cheapest option and immediate fix to any infection. When a tooth cracks to the gum line there is no saving it especiall if its almost in 2! the good news is the pain and infection should go away very fast once the tooth is removed. If removing the tooth will ruin your smile then getting a implant will fix that although not cheap.

• Posted

Thanks, the infections have now stopped for some reason and the tooth isn't painful at all but half of it is now very loose. It needs to be extracted but my dentist won't do this at the minute (because of coronavirus). Luckily it isn't one of my front teeth. I think that the nerves under the tooth must have died or something. My biggest problem now is that food gets trapped between the 2 loose parts and my breath isn't smelling too good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.