Cramping and pain after BM

Posted , 4 users are following.

Damn i thought after finishing antibiotics and low reaidue diets n all, i would feel better by now. But today almost after 20 days i feel the cramps n pain are there esp after this morninng BM. I was just waiting for CT which is on march 3 and was slowly thinking of switching to fiber diet now im clueless of what should i do sad . This is prolly worst thing that can happen to someone ever constantly thinking of what u should eat and no clue about treatment even after following guidelines

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's still early days - you can't rush recovery.  Regarding fibre, I wouldn't just yet because with your CT scan in a week you are going to have to start the prep in a couple of days, and that includes a low residue diet, then stuff to clear you right out.  (That's the procedure in the UK - may be different in USA but you've still got to be cleared out).  That's going to muck up your insides again for a few days after the CT scan.  So, sorry but you've got another couple of weeks of discomfort I'm afraid.

• Posted

sorry i meant colonoscopy, ct scan was done during ER thats how it was diagnosed...... and very frustrating, cant go to friends wedding   either sad , pain is just there 
  • Posted

Well, you'll definitely be on a few days low residue diet, plus then 24 - 48 hours liquid only with the clear out liquid.  Suggest you look at the colonoscopy forum for further details.  You'll see virtually everyone says the prep is the worst bit.  So PLEASE stick to your low residue diet until after the colonoscopy.

• Posted

Hi rocnepz,

Firstly, as you are having a colonoscopy - do NOT go on a higher fiber now as you will be cleared out completely. very soon and that will contradict the aim of the colonoscopy.

I am very new to all this but one thing I have gathered is that EVERONE is different and I got got conflicting info from my GP and the referring Dr...and I tried to google what diet to use. BUT even conflicting news on the web.

So I can understand that you are asking here in this forum.

So what is the answer for you - well , it is a matter of trial and error as to what YOUR  body can tolerate. That is a pain(double pain ;-)...but you may just have to write down exactly what you are eating and time and see what your body reacts to. i have noticed that

I have eaten potato chips at a party and realise that it is NOT good for me. Also smaller meals than before and CHEW everything more than you normally would, so that goes down easier. Alkaline foods and DO take pro-bitotics too! You MAY even need & be able to tolerate a slightly higher fiber but be careful as you do not want too much fibre at the moment.

The good thing is you are having a colonoscopy and then they can advise what may be the cause. 

I hope above helps a bit - All the best.

I will just finish with a "side note" to whoever is reading this as I have wanted to share for a while but havn't had time. The antibiotics that I took for only 5 days - were the BEST, they are called Augmentin. It may have helped me extremely well because I have only taken 2 times antibiotics in the last 15 years, I don't know. I also too pro-biotitics and still do.

• Posted

Thanks a lot kate.. yeah im experimenting with  food... how long have u had the DD? 
    • Posted

I got an "attack" on Monday night 29 Jan 18 and went to drs on the Wed 31 Jan - got ct scan and blood tests done. My C reactive protein was 199(normal is 5) and got the antibiotics Thu 31 Jan. I got better within one day. Finished antibiotics on Mon 5 Feb. New blood tests and was down to 6. Since I have had a few 'rumblings" but no pain like you. I must admit that I am aware that I have to be careful. Have cut down on drinking my favourite drink - wine too. Before the attack, had a glas or 2 each night...sadly that is over. Good thing is I have lost 3 kilos so feeling overall much better.

Have you had your C reactive protein blood test/ and also other full blood tests done?

• Posted

Hi again,

Just a ps after seeing Katealso response. I totally agree, that anxiety contributes and I actually forgot to mention that to you.

My flare up came in the midst of some very stressed and anxious times . In fact I had 3 months of stress beforehand.

Thus stress along with possibly eating some bad food for a while contributed to my attack.

Co-incidentedly, my quick healing time came at the same time when my stress was reduced dramatically.

• Posted

I am in the same boat! I finished the antibiotics 6 d ago. The nausea is almost gone but still have pain on and off. It is definitely anxiety producing. I have had this flare since 1/15, 24 d of antibiotics and still not great! I find if I have really small meals I don’t have as much pain.

I take Tylenol for the discomfort. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.