Crippled!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had TKR on the 13th Feb this year and feel that it was the worse decision of my life. Before the op I had energy and good health except for osteoporosis in my knee. The problem was localised anyway. The operation has really knocked me for six and my general health has plummeted. I've lost all sense and reason regarding my knee and I'm walking round like a drunken old woman.im being woken in the night with pain in my knee just like before except this time I feel all out of sorts. I could walk before if I rubbed various ointments into my knee

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Some of this may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Mine was on March 10th.  This takes a lot of work and a lot of time...more for some than others.  Just never give up...it will be better...

• Posted

Yes...really.  There are some people who have to have revisions and maipulations...seem to be a definite minority.  Some people feel great in six weeks...others not for a year or more.  Most of us fall in that 6-9 month range.  If you take enough people into account, it's one giant statistical "bell curve".  The problem is you won't know where you FELL inside the curve until you're done...can't know it while you're going through it.

Ya gotta do the PT and gym afterwards.  Gotta.  All that scar tissue forming will wreck your life.  Goal: I want to walk normally with no pain, meds or aids in the 6 month to 1 year range.  To get there, you must do the work.  It's hard...it hurts...but it's well worth the effort.

Inside...determination, perseverance, strength.  Find them...use them.  Most of all, have patience...this takes time...

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Mary. I don't think it's the actual operation that causes the problems,it's the anaesthetic. I had a gynae op a couple of years ago and was ill for almost 18 months after,all with immune related issues. Think anaesthesia knocks your immune system out,just my take on it. Hope you feel better soon . BTW am awaiting news on my bad knee

• Posted

I'm 17days post op TKR and I feel the same , I don't feel like I'm ever going to right again

• Posted

2 1/2 weeks?  And you're writing this?  Geez...at that point I was either unconscious or writhing in pain!!!  You're doing better than I ever did...

Use the link in the first post, above.  You've just started the journey.  Gonna take time, patience and determination.  Give up and you'll never walk right again.  Don't go down that path...it leads to "the dark side"...

• Posted

Mary thank you for sharing bc these posts really help me decide wether i shud choose a TKR or not. I'm not sure wether I can tolerate that much pain and being allergic to most pain medication I would probably be very frightened. I hope you get some relief very soon bc I can emphasize with you completely.

• Posted

"...allergic to most pain medication..."

Please explain...there are options...

• Posted

Hi there I'm 11 weeks post op, 54 female make Yes it's horrible but I don't have the horrible pain I had before. I have healing pain it's just uncomfortable. Do your physio. It's so important!! I also started physio 2 months before my surgery. I have ok days and then a horrible day. Rest when u swell it will b the best decision soon for you. I have to do this again in the spring and hopefully will dance soon!!! Stay positive. Lots of pain and tears but worth it!!

• Posted

Like you I'm sick as a parrot, had my second TKR 29 March. The right knee is smashing but this left knee is giving me lots of problems, I'm doing everything I should be doing but I know myself it's not right,when walking my balance is all to pot my back and hip hurt and like you I'm like a drunken old women go back to see surgeon next week see what he has to say this time. Don't give up Go to docs and ask for more help.

• Posted

I feel your pain. I also have said that having my TKR (May 12, this year) was a bad decision. But we both did it and now need to deal with it. I still don't have much more than 70 degrees of flex even with a MUA. My knee gives me more trouble - pain at night so getting sleep has been a big issue. Just start with getting strength back, ask your PT for some low impact things to do. Then as you gain some movement you might be able to add to your program. Long process so take it slow and keep adding exercise to help.

• Posted

Hi I think we have wires crossed, I have full movement can bend 90 degrees still doing bends and flexes but I have a wonkey leg from the knee down over which affects the way I walk and it's giving me pain in my back and hip when I go out walking I sit with my leg elevated every day and put ice pack on. What do I do now ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.