Currently trying to reduce my propranolol but having bad side effects..

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi There,

I am 23 years old and currently taking propranolol and valium for anxiety as I suffer from a few mental illnesses, I have been on these medications for 2 and a half years and am currently trying to reduce the propranolol and eventually get off it all together. The reason being I have a resting heart rate of 35 and i am not exactly. I've had bradycardia in the past and tachycardia and for the past 5 months have had bradycardia again but this time it's slower than ever. I was taking up to 700 mg a day when I had tachycardia but reduced to 80 as I was told that it was not safe. But what doesn't make sense is my heart rate has gone down so much on such a smaller dose, I have reduced it down from 80 to 70 and now to 60 but every time I make the step down to 60 I have to go back up again as when I stand up I get really bad tachycardia. I was wondering if anyone else has had these side effects after reducing your propranolol and if so should I push through the fast heart rate and hope for it to settle? Thanks.

Also I've seen a cardiologist who thinks that a heart rate of 35 with heart arrhythmias is normal and recommended me staying on propranolol for another two years but tbh I really don't think that's a good idea anHi There,

I am 23 years old and currently taking propranolol and valium for anxiety as I suffer from a few mental illnesses, I have been on these medications for 2 and a half years and am currently trying to reduce the propranolol and eventually get off it all together. The reason being I have a resting heart rate of 35 and i am not exactly. I've had bradycardia in the past and tachycardia and for the past 5 months have had bradycardia again but this time it's slower than ever. I was taking up to 700 mg a day when I had tachycardia but reduced to 80 as I was told that it was not safe. But what doesn't make sense is my heart rate has gone down so much on such a smaller dose, I have reduced it down from 80 to 70 and now to 60 but every time I make the step down to 60 I have to go back up again as when I stand up I get really bad tachycardia. I was wondering if anyone else has had these side effects after reducing your propranolol and if so should I push through the fast heart rate and hope for it to settle? Thanks.

Also I've seen a cardiologist who thinks that a heart rate of 35 with heart arrhythmias is normal and recommended me staying on propranolol for another two years but tbh I really don't think that's a good idea and am looking to see a different cardiologist asap.

Thanks in advance for any help/replies 😃d am looking to see a different cardiologist asap.

Thanks in advance for any help/replies 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Not exactly fit ** sorry for posting twice lol on my phone so messed up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.