Custom made bionet knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

The support here is very good. So reassuring to know your not alone.

I'm in Portsmouth England.

Has anyone had a Custom made knee which is measured through an MRI scan.

The Surgeon uses guides to cut and fit the knew knee which should be the same shape and size of your old knee.

Thankyou

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mary:

I had my knee replaced in late March of this year.  I did have an MRI to take measurements of my hip, ankle and knee.  I am doing well, even though it

is still swollen and somewhat painful using steps.  As far as bending, that is

excellent.  

I am sure what my surgeon did.  

Good luck with your research.

Barbara

• Posted

Thank you Barbara for your reply

Glad you're doing well

I'll keep you posted on my forthcoming operation

• Posted

Please do, excuse my typos!!

Lots of luck with your surgery.

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Mary,

The Biomet is not a custom made knee. They do use the scan to make a cutting guide to help the operation but apart from that it is only used to pick out the nearest size to your knee - it won't necessarily be the same shape and size. This isn't to say it won't do very well! 

The only true custom made knees are Conformis.

Dean

• Posted

Hi Dean .. I had the same thoughts special tools are made for your knee from your mri well that's what happens with tkr's in Australia.

• Posted

Morning Dean

Thankyou for your reply.

It called a Signature series. They scanned my hip knee and ankle. Then the scan was sent to Brussels where jigs are made.

I've read up on this.

It's all very technical.

Does that explain anything Dean.

Or have they glorified the term custom made.

• Posted

Hi Mary,

It is a bit of both. The jigs are personalised and these help the doctor when he is operating and cutting the bones. However the actual knee replacement implant is not a custom. It will be a standard size or shape but the scan which was taken of your hip, knee, ankle etc will be used to help fit which size is going to be the closest match. Like going to get your feet measured and then they go fetch you the size 42's if that is what is the nearest to your feet smile

Hope that clarifies?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.