Cutalopram nearly two years on

Posted , 5 users are following.

Guys, just wanted to post. February 2017. beginning of my breakdown. couldnt leave my house, suicidal thoughts. had to go off work. couldnt even get out my front doo

March 17 started Citalopram. came on here, got so much support. give these tablets time. i felt worse the first month and didnt get fully better til five months down the line. keep going.

ive now moved into my own place went back to work August 17 and have had two days off since with no anxiety.

sometimes you have to give them time. i know they dont workm for everyone but try them. good luck everyone. keep hopeful

4 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Such a wonderful positive reply from Aken everyone.

i am 14 months now completely medication free but was on citalopram for three years then weaned off slowly. i am functioning well now despite trials and tribulations of every day life but have learned to not fear anxiety any more and instead of bemoaning the upsetting things that occur i now think about and manage my feelings better,this prevents the situation escalating .

I COULD NOT HAVE COME this far though without citalopram which enabled me to learn how to manage my thoughts better,without the debilitation of anxiety.

it takes time and perseverance to totally recover from anxiety but recover you will.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE?

• Posted

Great news felis. I have taken 20mg for 5 weeks now and feeling better. I too want to eventually go off the meds also, but gonna wait til I feel 100%. How did you wean off? how ling did it take you?

• Posted

hi Dubry

i came off these meds very very slowly. i went down from 20mg to 15mg for a couple of months! THEN 10mg for a couple of months then 5mg six weeks then 2.5 about four weeks then took 2.5 every other day then stopped. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL,.Very slowly is the key to success.

i also looked up on google coming off anti depressants and they advocated slowly.

MY GP recommended quicker than this but i didnt want any setbacks and so played it safe.

• Posted

I'd like to second this citalopram took months to work for me but I've been on them around 2 years and they really help keep my anxiety in check. It hasn't gone completely but the tablets help me deal with it. I struggled with the stigma of being in antidepressants but now embrace it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.