Cymbalta, worth taking the 2nd time?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey,

Used to take Cymbalta Duloxetine 60 mg for my crippling depression a few years ago during a 6 month period.  Cymbalta really restored my natural self and the only side effects I experienced were sweating, and the withdrawal effects were horrible brain zaps during 2 weeks.

I’m a Diabetic and was recently also diagnosed with IBS and Autism. 

I have now been in a depressive mood for 2+ years. Feeling fatigued, aliphatic, sleep problems, no interest in hobbies or friends. My GP was checking my overall health and everything was fine.

I do not know if its life itself or my IBS which causes me to feel depressed. Nothing seems to give me highs anymore.

I have started taking Probiotics for my IBS which apparently also could reduce depression. Been trying diets, meditation, and exercise. No luck. 

I went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me Effexor, alternatively Paxil. But I resited taking any of them and asked to be put on Cymbalta again since it worked well for me the first time.

But will Cymbalta Duloxetine work for me a 2nd time if it worked as well the first time? I’m terrified of the brain zap withdrawal effects or anything worse. And that Cymbalta or antidepressants, in general, will permanently alter my brain and in worst case make permanent damage. My psychiatrist insists worst case scenarios won't happen and if Cymbalta worked for me the 1st time there is a good probability it will work equally as well this time. Cymbalta made me feel the best I ever felt. But as soon as I quit taking Cymbalta my depression came back.

I have been hearing diet, life style changes, vitamin supplements etc are the cure. But none seem to work.

I begin to think that Cymbalta is my last resort (or any other antidepressant) to cure my current depression. 

Should I try Cymbalta Duloxetine again a 2nd time?  Any experiences?  I'm just so afraid of the side effects. Especially reading some people get permanent brain zaps etc. But then I don't want to feel this depressed. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Just wondering why you were only on cymbalta for 6 months if it worked for you? I was on cymbalta years ago. It didn't work for me. Because I have back pain and anxiety along with depression. My GP wanted to try cymbalta again. I really didn't have any hopes for it, no antidepressants seem to work for me. I took one pill and I was SO nauseated for 3 days I couldn't bring myself to take another. So for now only taking lamotragine for a mood stabilizer. Right mow I'm in a deep depression.

• Posted

Hi,  I'm on Cymbalta and have been for... 8 years now? 

It took years  for me to accept pills but in the end it was just a combination of the right counselling (CBT), circumstance (folks moving abroad) and meds... You know you have to give it time to work, it's hard going thru the side effects but ... I'm stable on Cymbalta, and weirdly it's also prescribed for some back problems aswell.. 

How you feeling now? This site is really reassuring, I find  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.