Cyst or abscess at vaginal entrance 3 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have mentioned in previous posts that my recovery has been speedy and I have been feeling really well.

But the last couple of days I have been feeling sore and tender down below, and I've just had a bath and took a mirror to have a look, and I have a large lump on one side of the vaginal entrance. It's red and tender. It wasn't there a week ago!

i have diagnosed myself with a cyst or abscess from Google, but this could just be swelling from the op?

i don't want to see the GP as I don't fancy being prodded around down there just yet. Thinking of giving it a week to see if the lump gets bigger?

Anyone else had anything similar following vaginal surgery??!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Lorraine, I've not had anything like this and am not a doctor but if it could be an infection (and it sounds as though it's possible) I would urge you to see your GP because you may need antibiotics.  I can understand you being worried about damage being done by being poked about, but the risk of more damage through an infection sounds more risky.  I hope you can get this sorted simply and easily and you're better soon:-)
  • Posted

It could be a Bartholins Cyst and if it is you need antibiotics asap otherwise you will be feeling quite ill in the next few days.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I've recently been on antibiotics due to a urine infection. I couldn't finish the course, the antibiotics started to run straight through me!

i don't have a temperature, I have currently got a cough and cold which has been worrying me when I cough that I do damage to the work that's been done.

i will ring the GP for advice though, thank you. I don't want anymore antibiotics!! 

• Posted

You would probably need a different antibiotic for a BC than for a UTI. So best to get some medical advice.
  • Posted

I'm with everyone else -- I would see a doctor asap.  Sorry, I know that isn't the answer you wanted to hear.
  • Posted

I, too, would be cautious about more antibiotics unless absolutely necessary (and then, of course, you would have to take them). In the meantime, if it looks like it could be just a localized cyst (e.g., a plugged up hair follicle), I personally would use hot water soaks or compresses, and topical antibiotic cream. That's just what I would try first, but others may want to seek medical attention first. Also, watch to make sure that there's no additional radiating redness or fever because then it has become systemic and general antibiotics would absolutely be needed. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, I would seek a medical opinion. Good luck! 
  • Posted

In some cases a BC is a medical emergency. In severe cases the infection very quickly spreads via the bloodstream. Believe me as a Gynaecology Senior Nurse you shouldn't wait. They become unbelievably painful as well. You can't treat a BC yourself if it's infected. I suffered with them for a long time as well.
    • Posted

Thanks for this Matron. I will listen to your advice. This site is fab. Xx
    • Posted

Yes I like this website as well. It's great that there are so many supportive people out there. Take care.
  • Posted

hi lorraine i also have a bit of a problen ... im into my 5th wk of prolapse surgery anteria and prolapse i spoke to my doctor over a wk ago about a lump i have in my vagine lower region feeling as tho i still have prolapse she said it is swelling and normal .... does anyone feel the same as it does worry me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.