Cystitis and vaginal pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm struggling to accept that at 46 I'm in the menopause. For the past 6 years I've been experiencing symptoms which have got worse and more frequent particularly cystitis with vaginal pain and burning sensations. I have had no libido for over 6 yrs and my marriage has suffered. I feel very low with the pain and what's ahead of me. I am being encouraged by g.p to start hrt but hate medication and fear further side effects.Does anyone else get vaginal pain , irritation and interstitial cystitis as a menopause symptom ? Any Hrt advice would be most welcome.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yea Joanne 

i got same discomfort, i am age 50 and 19 months post menopause .

its declining hormones causing bladder discomfort, and vaginal discomfort

( vaginal atrophy ) i use ovestin estriol vaginal ovules from Gyno.

also the urethra shrinks and dries out too and causes discomfort .

jay xx   

• Posted

The HRT i take is just for vaginal dryness and vaginal ovule, its estriol the kinder estrogen, i cant take normal HRT as too high risk for me.

this only treats the unbearable vaginal discomfort ( vaginal atrophy) and plumps up the vaginal walls and protects bladder ( urethra) discomfort below too.. Doesnt treat any other menopause symptoms, also having discomfort from very mild uterine prolapse needs must.. Cant be without them - so soothing and works wonders , my VA was severe so couldnt suffer it anymore, been using them as required ( half ovule as enough for me ) since september 14 and made life / sex life much better .

good luck 

jay x

• Posted

Hi jaynee

Thanks for the support . I've got Drs appt to discuss the topical options as I'm struggling to cope with the bladder pain and vaginal discomfort . Do you get a burning dragging sensation at all . I feel so old at 46 and very anxious . My poor husband has s lot to put up with .

• Posted

Hi joanne, yes I also get pain and aching in my ovaries occasionally and burning sensation, and havent had a period for 2 years. i had a UTI awhile back with these and other symptons so we got that taken care of, but occasionally I will have this pain... when I had the Uti I had them check everything, pap test, exam, ultrasound and internal ultrasound and they said my ovaries looked fine, very small fibroid on my uterus and thats it, yet I will still sometimes have discomfort and I notice its usually when my body still has hormone cycles of breast pain or sore joints or breaking out just like a period only with no bleeding. I am not in favor of hrt,s just really want to do this naturally, but it sometimes is a literal pain! I do take many supplements suggested like the b vitamins, d3 and magnesium has really helped my joint aches.. your vaginal pain could also be due to dryness, ive have used vita E oil and that helps with intimacy, hope some of this helps you, i feel your pain if nothing else, but this to shall pass eventually smile
  • Posted

Yes me too.  I need to be careful as I seem to be prone to cistitis and also have the painful burning with intimacy.  I literally can't bear it.  I was on HRT patches for a couple of years and felt pretty good.  I went off them about a year ago and have felt like a 90 year old ever since.  Bad aching, painful joints everywhere and just about every other symptom on this board.  I told the Dr about the burning and pain and she gave me Vagifem to try.  It has helped a little bit but not enough.  I am 60 now and don't want to have to go back onto HRT but what do I do?  Do all these symptoms ever actually go away??  I feel old before my time.
  • Posted

I do get a little bit of discomfort down there plus with urinating a lot too. There are times it burns or itches. 

I don't have any adivice on HRT because I am not on it and I am against it 

Its really up to you if you want to be on HRT but read up on it first and talk to your doctor about what he thinks 

• Posted

Thanks Susan

Off to Drs to discuss some topical options even though I don't like medication but I can't cope too much longer !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.